1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heat beat, West Palm Beach, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 31, 2010.

1. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

No way is this not a traveling gig.

2. FakeJeffreyLoria

FakeJeffreyLoria New Member

Shaun Powell was the frontrunner and turned it down. Karen Crouse and Brian Windhorst (who has a condo in Palm Beach) also under consideration.

Windhorst has been offered the Miami Herald's NBA beat and told to name his price.

Sun-Sentinel promoted Shandel Richardson to join the beat off their college gig.

Interesting times.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I seriously doubt the Palm Beach Post has told anyone to "name their price" this isn't exactly 1999.

I can't imagine why Powell or Crouse would want this gig.

Shandel will do a great job for the Sun-Sentinel.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's the Miami Herald that allegedly said to name the price.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The only reason I mentioned Windhorst way back when was to make a lame Miami poaching Cleveland talent joke. But do LeBron and Windhorst have a good enough working relationship that the Miami papers really want him in pocket for that reason as well as his obvious abilities?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shaun turning it down isn't a surprise.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That makes a little more sense.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I still can't grasp the idea of any newspaper telling anyone to name his price for any gig. Not during these tough times anyway.

9. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

You can name your own price on Priceline, too, but it doesn't mean your offer is going to be accepted. I think that's a smart move by the Herald if it did make such a statement. All it does is get the potential hire engaged in a negotiation. Ultimately, if both sides want it to happen, it happens.

10. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I still can't grasp a journalist affording a condo in Palm Beach.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which is why I don't believe it.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't believe it, either. Even in the 1980s the Herald knew it could recruit a great staff without throwing money around needlessly. That's not a knock on the writers mentioned--both are among my all-time favorites of the writers I've edited. But the idea of a blank check for anyone seems far-fetched.

Draft saved Draft deleted