1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heat beat, West Palm Beach, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And they will become the most hated sports books on the shelves. Burned in Cleveland, banned in Toronto and left to languish in the cutout bin in 27 other NBA markets because so many folks will be hating on the Heat.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I hope the person who gets this gig will at least come on and tell us "I'm taking my talents to West Palm Beach."

3. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

The PD's new publisher did 2 things to sports within the first few months of being hired. The first was to hire Terry Pluto, the second was to hire Brian Windhorst, who had been beating the Plain Dealer like a drum on the Cavs beat despite writing from Akron. It's why Windhorst's stuff was being used by ESPN.com, instead of the Plain Dealer's guy.
    That's no secret to anyone. Not sure where Scoop is from, not that his opinion is relevant when it's so clearly wrong.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Scoop, I deleted your last post. We're not slinging any more junk on the jobs board over individuals who aren't directly involved in THIS job's hiring process. Something tells me Brian Windhorst is not.

Let's discuss the position.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Palm Beach should announce its hire with an hour-long special.

6. playthrough

Check your PMs, mythirdalt.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

24K GOLD!

rb

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You heard it here first- Stephen A Smith has got the gig

9. WrtngHstryW/OaPen

WrtngHstryW/OaPen New Member

Stephen A Smith?

You have to be kidding me...right?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

A friend threw that past me a few days ago and I didn't think about it. Two reasons why it won't happen. 1, It's not the Northeast. 2, The salary Smith would demand.

11. mac876

mac876 New Member

So is this really just a features writer also expected to write blogs, etc., since it's not a "traditional" beat reporter, or does Palm Beach really expect to be breaking news? I also wonder how committed they are to this position again and if the reporter will travel with the team.

12. playthrough

I'm guessing the reporter would make that December trip to Cleveland, at the very least.

Draft saved Draft deleted