1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heat backup/GA, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ShelbyFoote, Jun 19, 2006.

1. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

I didn't see this on the job board ... posted on APSE yesterday.

Are you ready to cover one of the hottest teams in the NBA? The Miami Herald has an opening for a reporter to serve as the backup writer for the Miami Heat with some general assignment responsibilities.

The ideal candidate is energetic and knowledgeable about pro basketball and takes pride in beating both the local and national competition. We're looking for a reporter to break news, not just cover the games, as well as propose and write enterprise pieces. He or she also should be ready to contribute to our expanding online coverage.

Please send resumes with five clips to:

Jorge Rojas
    Executive Sports Editor
    The Miami Herald
    One Herald Plaza
    Miami, FL 33132

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I know the Miami Herald is no Rocky Mount, but this sounds like an interesting job.

Anyone know how long it has been open, who left, past occupants of said vacancy?

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

It seems like they advertised this job about six months ago, when Stephen Holder left for St. Pete. I guess they didn't fill it then?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I believe this is the opening being vacated by Cammy Clark, who is going to news side.

5. Grey

Grey Member

i've heard this probably is going to be an in-house hire.

anybody heard anything different? or if it is in-house, what position likely will open, if any?

6. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

my guess is it will be in-house and the herald will be looking for a new high school writer.

7. zman82

zman82 Member

i was told six months ago they always look in house first and then go to the resume pile.

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Whoever gets it is getting a plush job now.

9. Oceanographer

Oceanographer New Member

I have absolutely no inside information, but if this doesn't go to Joseph Goodman, it's an injustice. That guy's been busting it on preps -- and helping with Heat stuff -- and has serious talent.

10. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Nice

11. Grey

Grey Member

so goodman's a done deal here?

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Thanks for checking in, Joe.

That post was 120 percent inaccurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted