1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heartbreaking story about another vet screwed by the country he defended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 20, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

You just keep believing that and mouthing the Army line, soldier.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm going to take a stab that Three Bags would know more about any of this than all of us; and that given his background it would be pointless to argue about him with this.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

that'd be pretty fucking remarkable, since he's dead.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. I'm as wrong as can be most of the time.

5. three_bags_full

Hell, at least I read the story. ::)

Gotta give me credit for that.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK, then one of his next of kin or relatives will somehow find his or her way on to the stage at one of the conventions for a tear-jerking moment........

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

no shrugging this one off. Had you opened the link instead of trying to piss off people on both sides of the aisle, you'd have read very quickly that Joseph Dwyer was dead.

8. three_bags_full

I'll ignore the insult and provide something. You can join in, if you'd like.

This story http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/565407 (from November, but the latest one I could find) says that about 300,000 psychiatric patients have returned from Iraq, a war in which these numbers have been extremely high compared to those from other wars. How many of these stories have we heard about? 500? That's alot, right? Sure, but it's still only 16/1,000ths of a percent. You get my point.

We know these numbers are probably low, and this quote from Evan Kanter, MD, PhD, staff psychiatrist in the PTSD Outpatient Clinic of the VA Puget Sound Health Care System, leads to that.

The most important piece of this puzzle, obviously, is the reporting and making soldiers understand reporting these issues. She also stresses later in the story that family and other networks play an important role in the process, urging them to seek or continue receiving treatment.

Take it for what it's worth, but the Army's medical system and the VA system ARE NOT broken. Stressed and ill-prepared going in, but not broken. If that was the case, this place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_the_Intrepid would've never been built.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wrong, I perused the story and saw very quickly what it was -- a bullshit sob story about a soldier who will no doubt become someone's poster child for how horribly the soldiers are treated -- and no doubt how the war in Iraq has destroyed families.

You know this guy's family will show up on the stage of one of the conventions.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The pitbull has another failed argument in his jaws. There will be no letting go.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

A bullshit sob story?

Jesus, you keep finding new lows.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hell, he probably believes PTSD is fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted