1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heartbreaking story about another vet screwed by the country he defended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 20, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Wow...the Pentagon really knows how to support the troops...

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

But liberals only support the troops when they're not fighting.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Instead of making childish comments, someone tell me why you think the Army doesn't care about this guy?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

you read the story, right?

Answers are there.

6. three_bags_full

I also read that he lied on his post-deployment health screening -- one of the most important medical documents in the file (and he should've known better since he gave those screenings. He consistently blew off treatment, spent time in some treatment facilities and didn't, or couldn't, take full advantage of VA treatment once he got out.

Sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around without making silly statements like those above. But, then again, that's par for the course around here, right?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't think there's anything silly about my statement. and we're supposed to categorize his lies, bailing on treatment, etc as proof that he didn't WANT to take advantage of the treatment and not as proof he was incapable of helping himself and needed the government to work harder to help him?

Joseph Dwyer is the symbol of the rotten treatment vets are getting. And have been getting, for decades.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't see anybody raising their hands to raise taxes to pay for increased and improved vet benefits. We like to blame "the government", but the truth is "WE" are the government and if it doesn't matter to us, it won't matter to the "government."
    We all knew better than to think the Iraq War was going to be the walk in the park it was advertised as. I know I thought, "it can't be this easy, can it?" in the march to war. But when the Dems signed off on it, (even if they were under political pressure to do so), they really lost all moral authority to capitalize on a soldier's misfortune.
    The truth is we spend more time obsessing about who should be American Idol than whether we're truly prepared to deal with war and its by-products.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right, right -- because there already isn't enough money going into the federal budget to be able to find some to increase and improve benefits for the vets.....

10. three_bags_full

No, Joseph Dwyer's case is an extreme outlier, and 99 percent of veterans are getting the best care available.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of course, I'm guessing Dwyer will find his way on to the stage at one of the conventions..........

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thought this was a Kerry thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted