1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hearst will maintain online P-I

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ArnoldBabar, Mar 6, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Like the next person said, if it substantially reduces your pay and benefits, or somehow is unworkable, but you'd have to either present evidence of the same or you'd have to mention it somehow to unemployment.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't work there, so can't claim to know how people feel, but this macbre countdown would be tough to go through, I'd think. Today, staffers were invited to the roof for final photos with the globe there, and this story says people expect the end tomorrrow or Wednesday. Thoughts with everybody there:

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/03/09/on_thep_i_deathwatch

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I was on the roof today, and am going through this brutal, open-ended death march. Of all the ways to shut down a paper, I'm not sure there are any good ones, but there have to be a lot more humane ones than this.

I've held it together pretty well, but I saw one of our photogs (a 50-something guy who has been there forever but I wouldn't say I know especially well) cry in a news report tonight. That broke me.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Having closed two newspapers, Arnold -- one without warning, one with a day's notice -- I can't imagine what it's like knowing the next morning the shoe might drop.

5. ArnoldBabar

At this point everyone is begging for the shoe to drop. We just want it over. Drumming up the energy every day to work for a company that already quit on you is tough to describe. This weird clash of wanting to say "fuck you" but still having personal pride. Last week I worked on what was supposed to be my day off on the road, just to go get a single quote. I kept thinking, "Why on earth am I even bothering to do this?"

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Inviting a bunch of newspaper people up to the roof -- any roof, anywhere, anytime these days -- is asking for real trouble.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Here Mr. Ad manager.. come pose with me right next to the ledge..."

8. CCaple

CCaple Member

This just sucks. As a college kid who's just trying to break into this business, all of the sports writers at the PI have been really cool to me and never dismissed me as just some dumb student reporter. You hate to see it happen to anyone, but these guys especially just don't deserve it. Nobody does.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Because you're still a professional, even though the idiots in corporate management aren't. My thoughts are with you, sir.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At my paper, we had about a month between the announcement of our closing and D-Day. On the one hand, we were happy to have the extra month of work and the opportunity to be around each other (we were a small and very tight-knit group). On the other hand, by the end I think we just wanted to get the final day over with so we could move on with our lives. And we knew how much time we had. Can't imagine having to live with the worst-kept secret not being revealed until just now.

As for why we do it: The shit's ingrained in us. Too much pride, too much self-respect to ease the horse down the stretch, even if it's 50 lengths back of the leader. Plus if you suspect that this might be your newspapering swan song, you want to go out with a bang. I think that's how a lot of us felt, and accordingly, some of our last issues were some of our best. Quality in spite of everything -- in some sick, weird way, it's the closest thing you can get to revenge. I'm guessing that's why your last stories are going to be some of your best work, even if it doesn't feel like it now.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i still hope you say fuck you.

12. ArnoldBabar

Oh, I still will. The minute I know my severance is secure.

Draft saved Draft deleted