1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hearst papers to use Bleacher Report stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NatureBoy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, as I said, this was my first exposure to BR. I thought it was very on-the-surface, though, with no real insight or depth how ever it may have been "written" notwithstanding.

It took no reporting to write that item. It was clean, maybe, but otherwise, the content was unremarkable, and I didn't think the actual writing was anything special, either. It was an item presented on the Times' site simply and essentially as a result of the name recognition of the subject -- more like much of the celebrity-news journalism being emphasized there now -- and was beneath anything that an actual Times writer would have put out.

Yet, this is apparently where the business is heading. It's terrible.

2. Link was written by BR's Managing Editor. Not trying to knock dude/link or anything, just pointing out that it's probably not an accurate representation of the typical content on BR.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Suck enough dick and you're in.

4. Garner

Garner Member

I just had my Bleacher Report plagiarism cherry popped. Actually, I hadn't ever visited the site until an hour ago, so I can't say it hasn't happened before, but I'm guessing there isn't any recourse for this. I searched around for some type of editor's contact information but couldn't find anything.

It feels a little better that I had my worked lifted by a college freshman though. I guess they don't cover plagiarism until sophomore year.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They're advertising for a couple of editor openings on JournalismJobs.com, and there are e-mail addresses there that you can send to perhaps.

6. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

I've called 415-777-5505 when I've had problems with them and gotten pretty quick responses.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's enough to make me want to buy a Thompson gun.

8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

Here's another fine example of the 'quality' content offered by BR...since I cover Formula One now this obviously grabbed my attention...and of course I reported it, but to no avail...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/365259-breaking-news-button-injured-in-horrific-f1-accident

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What the hell kind of crap is that?

10. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

That's the future of journalism....I like the quote from the one reply: "As for "sensationalism for the sake of page views", the most popular article on Bleacher as I write this is The 10 Hottest Wags of the EPL, which pretty much sums up what makes a splash on this site. There are serious sports sites on the internet, Bleacher is not one of them."

11. NBrom

NBrom New Member

apologies if this was mentioned somewhere else, but the LA Times is now in on the act

http://bleacherreport.com/los-angeles-sports

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been going on for like a month or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted