1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hearing loss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. Smallpotatoes

    Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

    Within the past few weeks, I've noticed I've been having more trouble hearing, especially in places where there's a lot of background noise (in gyms at games, in bars, etc.) and when somebody tries to talk to me from another room, I can't hear what they say. I'm asking people to repeat themselves a lot more.
    Maybe it's nothing; maybe it isn't.
    The answer, of course, is seeing a doctor, but I don't know if insurance would cover a hearing aid or whatever treatment I might need.
    Has anybody here lost their hearing and how did you end up dealing with it.
  2. old_tony

    old_tony Well-Known Member

  3. old_tony

    old_tony Well-Known Member

    OK, serious reply.

    I have the same problem. Have had it for quite a while. But every time I've had my hearing checked out, it comes back fine, even though I once ruptured an ear drum.

    In bars, etc., I've found one thing that does help is cupping my ear.
  4. John

    John Well-Known Member

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BigSleeper

    BigSleeper Active Member

    I've had permanent hearing damage in my right ear since childhood. I wore a hearing aid for my much early years, but my audiologist said I could function just fine without it. So, I did. Now, almost 20 years later, I am at the point where I need to think about getting a new aid. Unfortunately, many insurance plans don't cover much beyond the cost of an exam. I know that doesn't provide much insight, but at least go see an audiologist or hearing professional to learn the extent of your loss.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page