1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health care reform to SCOTUS? Finally?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Obama administration said late yesterday that it won't appeal the last decision that declared the health-care law unconstitutional. That makes it likely that the Supreme Court will take it up in its next term. During a presidential election cycle. That'll go well. ::)

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64475.html

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's a tax.

The end.

3. Dick Whitman

No. It's a great idea. The Supreme Court is going to decide in a landslide that it's a constitutional tax or exercise of the commerce clause, with only Ginny Thomas's husband voting otherwise.

Win: Obama.

4. Dick Whitman

Because it is.

It's a tax pegged to income. The federal government can tax income. Therefore, 8-1.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Dick, I don't know squat about it, but how do you go about framing a mandate to buy a commercial product as a tax? Is it the fact that, if you don't buy it, you get taxed? Or, alternatively, that having it buys you tax relief? Is that the way it'd have to be framed?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If so, wouldn't it get thrown out simply because it didn't originate in the House?

7. Dick Whitman

You've said that before, but I am not quite sure what you're getting at. Does the Constitution require an income tax to originate in the House?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think Carlton guaranteed us that this was going to fail at SCOTUS, so there's really no need for any suspense.

9. Dick Whitman

Re-write the law this way: There is a health care tax in the tax code of, say, $1,000. You can get a tax break if you carry health insurance. Or you can pay the $1,000 tax.

Hence: It's a tax.

10. YankeeFan

The Supreme Court can't take the political season into consideration. That's not their job.

Justice Breyer has a new book out, and he recently did an interview with Hugh Hewitt:

http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.aspx?id=d0c4a956-c0ce-47ba-b4cc-6e6544871276

It's pretty interesting.

11. Dick Whitman

I was going to post this, too, but I think he intended his criticism at the administration for not stalling.

12. YankeeFan

I'm not sure if the Court gives guidance about how a law could be written so it would be Constitutional, but if it isn't in its current form, don't they just rule?

And, if it had to be re-written, it would never pass the current Congress.

Draft saved Draft deleted