1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Care - Get It Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Health Care - Get It Done

And that is why this bill won't pass.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's such a given that the health-care bill is electoral poison. The ADD of the American public, apparently assuming we'd be at full employment by now, could be, however.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The apparent working premise of the lapdog media is that a huge majority of the American public is just pleased as punch with its current health care and is vengefully opposed to any idea of changing anything.

Hmmmm. I wonder who might have pushed THAT concept.

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

Yeah, because bitching about everything is a real effort at bipartisanship. No matter how Obama did, you were going to spin it as "token" ideas. Right? Yes, that's right.

And that's why he should have thrown a big huge middle finger to bipartisanship from the get-go, told the GOP to fuck themselves, and done what he had to do to get the bill passed. Thank you, Congressman Boehner. Now fuck you very much. Thank you, Senator Hatch. Go to hell. Here's a lesson for you, Minority Leader McConnell: 60 > 40. And I intend to show you that. So unless you have some real ideas and want to work at something with me, blow me. The GOP needs a math lesson. They are not in the majority, so they don't get to dictate the terms. Compromise doesn't mean you get everything, it means you get something in exchange for something. Democrats have given up a lot, Republicans haven't given up anything. So until they do, forgive me for thinking they don't give a shit about the health insurance crisis facing this nation.

Instead, Democrats are too caught up trying to protect their seats, and look at what it's getting them. If you honestly think Dems are going to keep their seats if they don't pass health care, you don't understand politics. No health care = bloodbath. The liberal side of the party has conceded on EVERYTHING since Obama got into office. Health care. The wars. DADT. EFCA. The stimulus. And so on and so forth. If you think they'll show up to the polls in November to vote for a bunch of people who couldn't get anything better than Lilly Ledbetter through Congress, you're nuts.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't believe Americans don't think that the health insurance and health care systems aren't broke - I think Americans know this.

But the reluctance to what the Obama people are trying to sell is exactly what I've written about several times -- there hasn't been a sensible plan that even approaches delivering what it is politicians are trying to deliver.

Not one.

And yet, we still have liberals around here pointing the finger at the other side and vice versa as the reason why (a) the system is broke and (b) we haven't yet got a solution and even more scary, there are some on here -- and in Washington -- who seem to be suggesting that they want something, anything, done before some arbitrary deadline just, well, just because.....

Again, that is bad government 101.

And we, the American people can and should demand more.

But we won't and mostly because the huddled masses have become partisan sheep who'd rather argue about what side is more to blame....

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

And the media is just as much to blame in that as the politicians themselves. There have been very few media reports about the good and bad of the health care reforms on the table. It's all about who's winning politically.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's because it's easier to explain winners & losers.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree that it is impossible to find a cohesive story that clearly spells out exactly what the health care bill does for us. Stories I've come across are very disjointed. You really have to work to get a complete picture.

Once you do the work and cut through the politics you realize that it is a pretty good bill overall.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame soccer

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Fixed.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Obama apparently reads SJ ....

From his speech today:

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What amazes me is that everyone seems worried about having a single-payer socialized medicine plan and that's not what this plan is.
    So many people are worried about what might happen even if it probably won't happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.