1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Care - Get It Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Health Care - Get It Done

Here is a few stats from The Center For Immigration Studies:

# We estimate that there were 6.6 million illegal immigrants without health insurance in 2007 who had incomes below 400 percent of the poverty level, which is the income ceiling for the proposed affordable premium credits.

# If all uninsured illegal immigrants with incomes below 400 percent of poverty received the proposed credits, the estimated cost to the federal government would be $30.5 billion annually.

# We estimate the current cost of treating uninsured illegal immigrants at all levels of government to be $4.3 billion a year, primarily at emergency rooms and free clinics.

So currently "Illegals" cost us around 4.3 billion in Medicad.

The total Federal spending on Medicaid is around 200 Billion so really on a Federal level the cost is a drop in the bucket.

The problem comes at a state level where on a percentage basis illegals suck up a higher percentage of medical costs-- specially in states like California with high concentration of illegals.

2. Boom_70

Simple answer is for The House to pass bill on table "as is' .The votes are there regardless of how the Republicans vote.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

This is my favorite part. For nine months, the GOP has been crowing about getting a seat at the table. The President holds a health care summit, allows the GOP to nominate its own members, and they nominate a bunch of people who have no interest in listening (OK, maybe one or two gave a shit enough to have a discussion).

Three days later, the President releases the GOP ideas he thought were good ones, and says he'd be open to talking about them.

And what have we heard from the GOP about that proposal? It's been largely ignored, or it's been excoriated for not being enough. As if they're the majority, and if they don't get everything they want, then it's not enough. Because that apparently is how majority-minority politics works for the GOP.

Anyone who believes there is anyone in the GOP who really wants to change the status quo in our health insurance system is kidding themselves. They haven't tried, and they won't try, because even when the president cites some good ideas (like expanded HSAs, for one), they don't concede anything. The GOP has bitched up a wall about bipartisanship, and yet the only people who have had to concede anything so far are the liberals in the Democratic party -- the so-called majority. Anthony Weiner said it best.

Democrats ought to pass the bill, work on it from there, and slam the Republicans every way to Sunday for obstructing everything they did (from unemployment benefits to Lilly Ledbetter to hate crimes to judicial nominations to health care) for a year and a half. Sadly, I don't know if there are more than 10 Democrats who understand that.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm impressed that you can identify an illegal immigrant just by looking at him. Amazed, in fact.

5. Boom_70

Seems kind of weird that ro is walking around the hospital where his wife works. if he is looking for work he might be able to get a temp job as census taker

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

The Brits have the right idea on how to deal with the likes of Dr. Weiner.

7. Boom_70

If the Democrats don't get this through their a bunch of pussies.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

So, the response to the Republican's claim that the bill was too big was to make the bill even bigger by adding some token repub ideas? Yeah, that's real genuine bipartisanship.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

With this I agree.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

If the Dems don't get this through they are a bunch of pussies that might still have their seats after November.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't know "a bunch of pussies" was even a part of the anatomy. I know I wouldn't want something getting through my a bunch of pussies.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well look who's back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.