1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Care - Get It Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Health Care - Get It Done

Found this from 1999 so I'm sure the math is worse now but the logic still applies.
    CDC Estimates Cost of Smoking
    Excerpt By Erin McClam, AP

ATLANTA - Each pack of cigarettes sold in the United States costs the nation $7 in medical care and lost productivity, the government said Thursday.

The study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention put the nation's total cost of smoking at $3,391 a year for every smoker, or $157.7 billion. Health experts had previously estimated $96 billion.

Americans buy about 22 billion packs of cigarettes annually. The CDC study is the first to establish a per-pack cost to the nation.

The agency estimated the nation's smoking-related medical costs at $3.45 per pack, and said job productivity lost because of premature death from smoking amounted to $3.73 per pack, for a total of $7.18.

The average cost of a pack of cigarettes in 1999 was $2.92.

"There's a big difference in the cost to society and what society is getting back in tax," said the CDC's Dr. Terry Pechacek. "We believe society is bearing a burden for the individual behavioral choices of the smokers."

The CDC said it analyzed expenses, both personal and for the health care industry, and used national medical surveys to calculate the costs to the nation.

The agency also reported that smoking results in about 440,000 deaths a year in the United States, up from the government's previous figure of 430,000, established in the early 1990s. The new study was conducted from 1995 to 1999.

"The fact that nearly half a million Americans lose their lives each year because of smoking-related illnesses is a significant public health tragedy," said Dr. David Fleming, the CDC's acting director.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In '00, maybe.

Quoting myself: "Voting for Bush in '00 was a misdemeanor. Voting for Bush
    in '04 was a felony."

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have a really novel idea for both sides - instead of trying to jam a bad bill down our throats just to have something to brag about before the election, how about scrapping the whole thing and starting from scratch on a bill that might actually make sense and might actually have a chance in hell of solving whatever problems we are allegedly trying to solve?

I mean, seriously, even if it takes a whole year to thoughtfully study and work out the kinks on and find a pragmatic and workable solution -- isn't that worth it given the enormity of what is at stake here.

Make no mistake, this "healthcare debate" and posturing is Bad Government 101 -- and like every bill that is rushed through for the wrong reasons (usually to try and win elections), this will be one that won't fix the "problems" we are allegedly trying to fix, one that will cost far more than originally thought and one that will no doubt have some unintended consequences which are worse for some than what we have today.

Just a thought.

4. Boom_70

Doc - in your ER what percentage of cases come in that could be attributed to drugs or alcohol? This would included related accidents.

5. Boom_70

The bill's been debated for 50 years. Just get it done and adjust on the fly. You have to start somewhere. One more year may put us in situation where votes are not there.

There is opportunity now for majority vote and a President willing to sign on the dotted line. It may not happen for a while again.

6. Boom_70

Federal tax on cigarettes is $1.01 per pack. States vary. Perhaps Feds should require a minimum level of state taxiation to receive Federal medical funds. Here is breakdown:
    orted By Tax Rate
    State Tax Rate
    (per pack of 20)
    Rhode Island $3.460
    Connecticut $3.000
    New York $2.750
    New Jersey $2.700
    Hawaii $2.600
    Wisconsin $2.520
    Massachusetts $2.510
    District of Columbia $2.500
    Vermont $2.240
    Washington $2.025
    Arizona $2.000
    Alaska $2.000
    Michigan $2.000
    Maryland $2.000
    Maine $2.000
    New Hampshire $1.780
    Montana $1.700
    Delaware $1.600
    Pennsylvania $1.600
    Minnesota $1.560
    South Dakota $1.530
    Texas $1.410
    Iowa $1.360
    Florida $1.339
    Ohio $1.250
    Oregon $1.180
    Arkansas $1.150
    Oklahoma $1.030
    Indiana $0.995
    Illinois $0.980
    New Mexico $0.910
    California $0.870
    Colorado $0.840
    Nevada $0.800
    Kansas $0.790
    Utah $0.695
    Mississippi $0.680
    Nebraska $0.640
    Tennessee $0.620
    Kentucky $0.600
    Wyoming $0.600
    Idaho $0.570
    West Virginia $0.550
    North Carolina $0.450
    North Dakota $0.440
    Alabama $0.425
    Georgia $0.370
    Louisiana $0.360
    Virginia $0.300
    Missouri $0.170
    South Carolina $0.070

Lower taxes heavily weighted towards the South

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This may come as a shock to some but society already does cover the costs for people who choose not to care for themselves. In an extremely costly and inefficient manner.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Or you could also say that lower taxes are heavily weighted towards most of the places that actually grow tobacco.
    Let's not forget the influence of wealthy farmers in rural states.

Companies already give incentives for healthy behavior like nonsmokers have lower cost health insurance and, in some places, the physically fit have lower insurance as well.

The problem with that approach is that for insurance companies to make the profit they want, they need healthy people to pay in as much as the sick people. Insurance, in a way, is a giant ponzi scheme based on that people will continue to pay relatively high premiums to cover the cost of the relatively few sick.

You can't have health care reform, without the reform of the health insurance industry.

I wish I could find the poll, but I saw one where people who never filed a claim were the ones most satisfied with their insurance and the more claims filed, the more the satisfaction dropped.
    I think that's a pretty telling number.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who stole Boom's login?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since the supermajority went down to 59-41, it's pretty obvious to most people that there is no way on Earth the Republicans will get behind any reform bill, ever. So the bill before us is the only bill that's going to have a chance unless the Dems get back to 60 votes (or probably more, given the cajoling and bribery it took to get even this far). That doesn't seem likely to happen for a long, long time and may never happen again. Scrapping it and starting over is an exercise in futility.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Go take a walk around the hospital where my wife works and see who the patients are. You'd see a lot of truth in that statement.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I just want to say that I'm very encouraged by the level of discourse on this thread. I don't think the reset button is necessary for health care reform, but maybe it was for the SportsJournalists.com Politics board.

This is our 'clean sheet of paper!!'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.