1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Care - Get It Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Health Care - Get It Done

Since the votes are their it only hurts The Democrats if it does not get done. There is nothing the Republicans can do to hold it up.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. They'll just bitch and complain and try to sabotage it once it does get done so that they can try to get back in power.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Glad Boom's on board. His Bunning-like roadblock was the only thing preventing this from moving forward. All can rest now.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'd be willing to bet (OK, maybe not a lot) that Boom voted for Obama.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought he was a Kodos guy...

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Do most people want health care reform or not?
    The wingnuts keep saying most people don't and Obama is trying to shove it down everyone's throats.

7. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Depends who you ask. I'm guessing people who can't afford insurance, or people who are denied insurance because they have a pre-existing condition are pro-reform.

And since when is majority rule shoving it down people's throats?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

While I don't doubt there is some of that going on, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the Republicans also think it's a bad bill that will do more harm than good?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Too lazy to look for it, but a recent poll I said was very instruction on this issue. It said that 35% of people definitely intended to vote for Dems in Nov., 35% definitely intended to vote for republcians, and that of the remaining 30% who were undecided, 64% of those were in favor of health care reform.

I think this the most illustrative poll on health care, because by separating it the way the do they largely control for Dem who respond unfavorably about health care reform because they don't think it goes far enough (they want reform; but want a single payer system or public option and don't think we should settle for anything less.)

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

People want health care reform. But they don't want it to be incredibly expensive or have a confusing bureaucracy.

To me, I wish that every time the Repubs would claim that they have ideas, that the Dems would just say, "You guys were in charge of Congress and the president was in your party for 6 years, why didn't you get anything done?"

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Politics-wise, if the Dems want to get it done, sooner is better than later; that way, the initial wave of Tea Party discontent that will come will help far-right Republicans win primaries and any possible rage dissipates by late summer. After that, expected better economic news becomes more of a focus.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I realize that it may be just words, but what you people are talking about on this thread is health insurance reform, not health care reform.

Health care reform has to begin with two basic beliefs. The first is that society has a responsibility to provide health care to all. This includes health maintenance from prenatal care to the grave and health education to promote a healthy lifestyle. The second is that the individual has a responsibility to live that healthy lifestyle and participate in preventive practices to minimize disease. Responsibility goes both ways and if the individual abrogates their duty, perhaps access to health care should be limited. Society cannot afford to care for people who choose not to care for themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.