1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heads-up to Progressive customers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Oct 5, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I made a nasty discovery tonight that could have burned me, and I wanted to pass it along.

Long story short, I moved about six months ago and got a new checking account because the old bank doesn't have a branch out here. I switched my Progressive auto-debit to the new account, and everything was fine. But I left the old account open, because I had a paycheck dumped in there, and it was easier just to use the money than worry about closing the account. I hadn't checked it in a little while (I know, I know), and decided to do that tonight. When I did, I found that Progressive had debited my last payment out of there in September.

The hell, I said?

Apparently, they had some sort of error, that they're apparently just unraveling, so that when they sent out renewal notices (I got mine in late August), if you'd switched accounts, it reverted back to the old one. So...yeah. Fortunately, there was enough money in the account to cover it. I'd hate to think what might have happened if there hadn't been. The guy on the phone tonight told me they haven't sent out any notifications, but they might. Sometime.

Not sure how many this would affect, but it might behoove you to check.

Now, back to quoting other insurance companies, because I don't trust Progressive any more.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I'm old school and still use paper and envelopes for my Progressive payments.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So you're the one.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Our payments have been coming out of the bank extremely late lately. That's been our pain in the ass dealings with Progressive, but otherwise, no problems here.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Geico. Geico. Geico.

I pay $240 for six months. And you pay it in the first four months, then you get two months without paying.

It's fantastic. $60 four times, and I'm covered for six months. Magnificent!

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Wow, that's pretty darn good, IJAG.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I have Geico too, and I'm presuming with a better drivin record, damn pristine it is, and I'm paying just more than double what IJAG is. Though I'm sure DC vs. her place has something to do with it too. But yes, Geico. And it's easy to either pay online or in the mail. And I'm paying much less than what Progressive was charging, and it's gone down every six months.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Geico was the big winner when I had my 91 Buick Regal. When I bought my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, suddenly they were the most expensive carrier and I switched to Progressive. Now Progressive is charging $150/month for my 2004 Dodge Durango, and with the exception of a fender-bender in March, my record for their purposes should be clean (before anyone asks, the two car-destroying accidents I've had this summer were the other drivers' fault, so I'd like to think I'm not getting punished for other people's reckless driving).

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, keep in mind I'm driving a 2000 with like 87000 miles on it. And I only drive about 8000 miles a year now.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

If anyone can qualify for it, go USAA. Screw all the other places. I pay 160 a month for two financed cars with roadside assitance, rental car reimbursment and high coverages and low deductible.

Of course, you have to be military, ex-military or a child of a military officer to get (I think) but if you can, they are awesome. Customer service is top notch, too. They helped my mom with a problem with Wachovia by 3-way calling them and arguing with the bank representative for her. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Child of a current military officer? Or past?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I would imagine either one would be covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted