1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headlinese

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Sep 10, 2007.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

don't forget

matmen
    mermen
    laxmen

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Headlinese is using assails in a one-column space, not thinclads or cagers in 2007. That's just corny with no upside. But if the boss isn't inserting those words into copy, it doesn't really affect you.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Head down to your local nudie bar, you'll find out. ;)

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I've used harriers and grapplers (or some form of each) in stories, but never - that I can remember - in a headline. Then again, I covered strictly cross country and wrestling one year. ... I had to come up with something! I did learn both terms from the coaches/teams though, which was how I picked them up.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the tilt is slated for a 7 p.m. tipoff.

6. the fop

the fop Member

Well done, doctor X.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Florida quint won a second cage national championship.

8. I can honestly say I have never seen or heard any of the above terms (aside from grapplers and netters, but those weren't part of the original post). I don't think they have been used at my paper or at the APSE winning paper I grew up reading ... ever, or at least in the past 20 years.

Frankly, as a desker myself, if that's the best you can come up with for a headline, then you should find another line of work. That's just lazy and corny. Maybe it was accepted back in the day, but no one knows those terms now.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't realize that was headlinese. I thought that was lazy, old-fashioned writing you wouldn't see in a self-respecting newspaper anymore.

Glad to know different.

My favorite, though, is mat maulers!

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Bingo. I've been here for eight months. He's been SE here for longer than I've been alive. And our sports staff is 2 1/2 people, and the 1/2's been working with him for at least 15 years (which is why it affects me-I do layout too, and often fall back on them when I draw a blank because if I get too creative), he'll just change them when I check the page anyhow.

Instead of turning this into a bitch session, what are some suggestions to fit in roughly the same space?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could suggest you have some kind of deck or label or sig or some device that would indicate the sport and you could avoid the issue altogether.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

poison.

Draft saved Draft deleted