1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headlinese

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Sep 10, 2007.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

My boss is definitely one of those old-school types, and tends to be a little change-resistant. OK, a lot change-resistant. Anywho, I asked him a few days about some of the most celebrated examples of the sports dialect of headlinese:

"Harriers" "Thinclads" "Spikers" "Gridders" "Cagers"

I know what they are, but when I asked him, "Do you think our readers really know what a harrier is?" he said, "We teach them what it is."

In particular, spikers irritates me because there are certain people on a volleyball court that are legally prohibited from doing said activity. However, even if he'd let me do it, it's not like I can come up with anything better.

So, in summation, do you struggle with these issues or run anything better?

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Man, that guy is living in the 1940s.

Thinclads? What are they?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"The locals outgunned their opposing gumshoes in Friday's battle."

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Track and Field.

5. Guy probably thinks Japs is OK in a headline, too.

6. doctor x

doctor x Member

PREP CAGER INKS JUCO PACT
    Asset to Quintet, Hardwood Mentor Asserts; College Prexy in Agreement

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've never heard of thinclads either.

I don't know if it's lazy writing, but it's not great writing, that's for sure. Same thing with using plated two runs with a single.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

"We teach them what it is?" Jeez, pal. Nice view to take. Didn't you learn in Journalism 101 — Know your audience!?!?! Guess what, the audience of prep sports are the players and parents themselves... not 60-year-old grizzled journalist who used these horrible, hokey and down right stupid terms back in the day.

You have to respectfully disagree... I mean, show me a quality newspaper in America that uses these terms?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Don't forget GRAPPLERS

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As a cross country runner in high school in the 1980s, we had a support team called "Harrier Helpers."

I thought maybe they should have been dressed as anthropomorphic hands.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

What about kegglers? That's one of my favorite.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It depends on roles in the sports department, namely how much experience and pull you have vs. the party that's using the old terms.

My first SE loved using a lot of those old terms ... of course, he's past age 70. When he did those, I had no experience while he had over 35 years experience, including more than a decade at that shop as SE.

Sure, I wanted to change some of those terms. But fat chance anyone was going to listen to me, no matter how much sense I might have made. Maybe my input would be more valued now, then again I may just be kidding myself.

That SE is semi-retired now. I hope he's well ... truly one of the good people I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted