1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headlines and decks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ballparkman, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

speaking of hell, i been having nightmares about trying to make the agate page work and get it out on deadline. is that weird?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Depends on point size of the decks, too.

Our deck size is 24-point. That's a little large to say anything in just two lines. It also tends to look a little too big under any main head less than 48-point.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, that's normal.

Do you dream that you'rre doing the agate page nude? That would be weird.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We use nut grafs instead of subheads; my limit on those is 3 decks.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is the key when dealing with subs. The general rule should be 1/2 the size of the main hed. I think it is a major mistake to have a 24pt sub with a 36pt main. Too much weight. And to have a blanket rule on the sizes of subs is to paint the designer and copy editor into at 12p corner.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Same here from my last paper. We had a rail which took up one full column on the left. When you always have that anchor, you have to be a bit more flexible in your layout styles. Subheads or decks allow you to do that. They're not always the best tool, but I preferred to have as many layout options as possible.

7. North61

North61 Member

My ME recently had a one column 11 deck hed on the front page- 6 main and 5 subhed. It was the fucking dumbest thing I've ever seen. The story jumped three paragraphs in and if I remember right, it was some snoozer piece about water pipe maintenance. I need to find a new job.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

About Marty Schottenheimer.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, that's pretty bad...

10. subhead

subhead Member

I was against it until I noticed The NYT does it that way. Now I'm for it.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

That or Sarunas Jasikevicius
    --
    We use 2 or 3 subdecks .. no more, no less.

12. joe

joe Active Member

And how the fuck does a "new, young designer" get to set the rules for headline specs? Tell him he ain't at College U anymore, and that ain't the fucking way it's done here. Change it.

Draft saved Draft deleted