1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headlines and decks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ballparkman, Feb 25, 2007.

1. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

We have a new, young designer who is very talented. However, he wrote a one-column headline with three decks and then a four-deck subhead. I told him that it's wise to keep the subhead decks shorter than the main heads and to do something like 2 over 1 or 3 over 2 or 4 over 3 instead of 3 over 4. He shrugged and said "my rule is just not to go more than 8 total decks."

It seems I was told to keep the second deck lighter than the first, but I can't be sure.

Any thoughts?

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I always try to use fewer subhead decks than main head decks. Think it looks better.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

the deck generally always has more words than the main head. as long as the main head "looks" bigger and fuller is our rule.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That sounds
    like a very
    bad idea

Even for a
    youngster
    working at
    Podunk Press

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I won't go over five, and that only on a one-column head. Three main lines, two deck lines.

Will only use three deck lines as one-column, and as a readout under a wider head.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's hard to believe I haven't written anything but a one-line standalone head (story/column/recap) or a two or three-word hammer head (cover story) in coming up on 10 years.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Eight
    Total
    Decks?
    Eat Shit!

Look Here
    Punk, I'm
    Going to
    Deck You

9. pallister

pallister Guest

You often can't say much in a 2-deck, one-column subhead, which makes them pretty worthless. Three-deck subheads with one-column heads are fine. Occassionally, I'll use a four-deck subhead if pertinent information would be left out without doing so. And it doesn't look bad as long as the headline font is signficantly bigger.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

if everyone's Hell is different, mine will be writing one-column headlines

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Our paper puts deckheads on virtually everything. I could count on both hands the number of times I've had a story with no subhead in the two-plus years I've been working here. And they're all (well, 90 percent) 1-column, 3-deck subheads.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Whenever I think of headlines and decks, I always think of the first page I ever designed, which included a two-column, four-deck headline with the word "thinclad" in it. I had a long ways to go when I started.

Draft saved Draft deleted