1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline style pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now i've seen it all.

<wink>

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

All, now he's seen it.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There should be more visual cleverness:

ALL

Now he's seen it

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Close, but no helmets.

5. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

It's the Post. They can do whatever the hell they want. Shit, I'd work for them in a heartbeat. Boring layout page and all. Sign me up.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Ha ha ... I have many talents. Sadly, headline writing has never been one of them ... I was always OK with that.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

That said, I did come up with the odd gem. And the one I always hang my hat on was:

Bert, Who's He?

On a column depicting the Vancouver Canucks' trying to evade the issue of The Incident, perpetrated by Bertuzzi against Steve Moore. After Bert's suspension, the players were acting like he didn't even exist.

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

I'm appalled at the lazy sports headlines these days. Yes, copy editors are overworked to the bone, but heds and cutlines are where you show how great you are. Punch up your heds and cuts. Make 'em shout. Push the envelope. Take risks. And never settle for the boring and the mundane. Look hard into the story and find something that really sells.

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Says the guy whose handle is one of the most cliched headlines since "Orange Crush." :D

I keed, I keed.

10. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

yeah, well, what's your point?

show me some better copy editors, and i'll shut up.

copy editors, at least plenty of them, have forgotten what it means to be a copy editor.............

it's not just about finding misspelled words, ya know.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

TrojanHorse, where have you been hiding?

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Have Al Strachan thrown on your desk and you'll know what it takes to be a copy editor. Until then, however, you are not my hero.

Draft saved Draft deleted