1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline style pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Nov 5, 2006.

1. enigami

enigami Member

Sorry, guys. link rolled over. I appreciated the constructive commentary while it lasted.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

burrito from taco bell eat i.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I like how in Boswell's column hed they made a normal sentence "now they've seen everything" into a Post-worthy prepositional special "now, they've seen everything"

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It's like the Post headline writer (I can't imagine it's all of them who do it this way) is trying to make things more haughty. More deliberate. "Now....... they've seen everything." Barf.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Everything now, they've seen.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now I'm getting a lot of parts-of-speech confusion.

"Now" is an adverb, not a preposition.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Why is it necessary to put a comman after now?

Now ..... they've seen everything.

Or what would be wrong with

They've
    now seen
    everything

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And something else to point out: chances are, they haven't seen EVERYTHING. Have they seen seals play dodgeball with the 1993 Texas Rangers in a pool hall in Tupelo, Mississippi in front of a crowd of 55 Jehovah's Witnesses, a six-pack of Miller Genuine Draft and a decomposing kabuki? If not, then the headline is an out and out LIE FROM HELL.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, Meat, I think it was the '92 Rangers, 75 Jehovah's Witnesses and a 12-pack of MGD.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

How about coming up with an interesting headline? Strikes me as damned lazy and I was one of the worst headline writers in the history of newspapers.

11. Facts, correct info, etc. don't always find their way into Boswell columns.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Thank God...I thought I was REALLY missing a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted