1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline in the State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s a big error. I read and thought “yeah, doing a turn on the movie Hope Floats was a really, really bad idea.” Can’t do it.

South Carolina attempting to squeeze money out of a newspaper for an error isn’t surprising. That sounds like Will Muschamp.

Because the media is what it is today, you’ll see national media (like McMurphy) puff their chests out in judgment. I imagine local media will do its usual whisper-whisper that came along when recruiting sites started staffing press conferences with glorified PR agents.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Andrew tweeted that the first time he saw the headline was the next morning when he looked at the print edition. I don't believe the writer is responsible for a suggested hed for print, just the online hed.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm 99.999999999% sure there was no "suggested head" for print. There rarely is.

On the rare occasions in which I see one, I'll slap it on the story before the finisher even gets to it.

Ben.Breiner likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Anything to further your brand and pick up a few more followers.

wicked and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Didn't realize that about the hub and it makes me wonder why The State would misrepresent that.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One point of clarification: There was no "suggested" head. There was simply an "online head" that most of the time needs to be severely shortened (or completely reworked) for print.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Thank you. I read the "online hed" as "suggested print hed," which was incorrect. My bad.

8. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Hi, y'all. I work at The State and am somewhat in the middle of this. If you'd like followup/more explanation, shoot me a PM.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I cannot find the original article, but how does 'hope float/sink' make any sense other than as a reference to the charity related to the brother?

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The lede referred to the quarterback being the player viewed as giving fans the biggest reason for renewed hope in the program.

The story is still on the website.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which few people under the age of 35 would ever have seen or remembered.

Draft saved Draft deleted