1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline in the State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Really feel bad for Andrew, who had nothing to do with this but basically has to wear it. Another example of the dangers of farming duties out to centralized design/editing hubs.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I confess I didn't know what "Hilinski's Hope" was (though I know about his brother's suicide), but that's just a garbage headline any way you look at it.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anything to get off a snarky line.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

GateHouse centralized pagination would never allow that to happen because generic hed.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I didn’t know about the Hilinski’s Hope organization either, so I can totally see how this might happen if you’re just somebody in Charlotte trying to write a hed off the lede. But: Somebody in Columbia should have caught this before it hit the press. I understand the “throw it over the wall” production process, but there’s gotta be a night editor signing off on pages before they’re output.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Never would have guessed what happened without the link from Moddy. And still I say WTF?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The picture is crap too.

Newspapers need to just go ahead and die already if this is the best they can do.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

One of the tweets from the State spelled out how the writer or editor fills in a headline, then it gets tweaked at the hub to fit for print.

I'd be interested in what that suggested hed was and how far the hib strayed away from it to where it ended up.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The headline does indeed reflect the lede, which makes me think the lede should have been written differently. He really shouldn’t have used the word hope in the lede with Hilinski. Seems like that should have been caught by whoever edited the story. Just an awful, insensitive headline.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I knew nothing about this until I read this thread. But obviously a huge blunder in that market.

It’s almost like experience, local knowledge and institutional knowledge matter a lot.

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

South Carolina stumbles to 1-3 start with road loss to Missouri

And the thing is, had this been a "normal" headline treatment (instead of the monster 3-4 word centerpiece treatment), that headline likely would have stayed pretty much intact for print. Or maybe "USC falls to 1-3 with loss at Missouri."

Can't be. The only true "edit" these stories get is with the online head attached. After that they are sent for "print finishing," which involves just making everything fit in the print space allotted. "Finishers" are not supposed to read the story as an editor. In fact, they are not supposed to spend more than 8 minutes on any story.

The great majority of the time, simple tweaking of online heads is done. Only in the case of tough, one-column heads or the 3-4 word centerpiece heads is a complete rewrite usually done. On rare occasions, print heads are suggested. Kansas City typically throws out an idea for its Chiefs centerpiece heads, and the designer makes it work.

Finally, the newspaper's apology was inaccurate as well. SOME hub members work in Charlotte. But only about 18 out of about 80-90. That headline could have been written by someone in Sacramento, Fort Worth, Bradenton, Biloxi or more than a dozen other places.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted