1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headline Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gordon edes, Oct 24, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She keeps 30 cats in a 2 bedroom apartment?

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Reminds me of the old (maybe 25 years ago) Saturday Night Live. At one point they started having an advertiser for Weekend Update.

"Tonight's Weekend Update is sponsored by Pussy Whip, the first dessert topping for your cat."

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A worker of ours more than nine years ago had "Cleveland has Colon problems." I thought it was hilarious. Our boss at the time was less than amused.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A Freudian slip, if ever there was one.

5. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

We ran a feature about a hearing-impaired golfer who was trying to earn a spot on a minor-league tour. A part-timer laying out the page came up with this:

"Deaf golfer hear to stay"

It was quickly shot down by the shift supervisor.

6. "IUD Firm Sees Red Over Suit"

-- Denver Post, mid-1980s

7. Here are a few from a paper I used to work for.

A skybox teaser for an inside story on Amalie Mauresmo defeating Martina Hingis in a pre-Australian Open tournament in Melbourne read...
    "Mauresmo licks Hingis down under"

When Mike Piazza was traded from the Marlins to the Mets less than a week after they got him from the Dodgers we ran...
    "Marlins order Piazza to go"

Then there were the many great headlines from the Tyson/Holyfield II debacle, such as "Ear Flap" "Championship bite" and "Now (h)ear this".

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had to do a group project in high school where we made a newspaper from a day in a decade we were assigned (we had the 70s, and cheated and did a year-in-review issue, like everyone did) and my group managed to misspell two different words - "shirt" and "shift" - into "shit".

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A paper I used to work for ran this when Pat Cash beat Ivan Lendl to win Wimbledon in 1987:

"Cash is better than Czech"

And not a headline, but a lede that got shot down when a local radio host, who also happened to be blind, got his show cancelled:

"(John Smith) never saw it coming."

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The Seattle Times once ran "Bad whiff of Colon."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

On tepid local sales of 2 Live Crew's controversial album:

Slow sales happen
    for risque rappin'

The author of that one is among the smartest people I've ever known.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'm reviving this thread because I'm putting together a collection of bad/hilarious/etc. headlines for my communication class and wanted to see if anyone had any more submissions. Images would be a bonus, but not necessary.

Thanks for your contributions.

Draft saved Draft deleted