1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heading to Madison... where should I eat and drink

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Sep 21, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Myself and 10 of my closest/most belligerent friends are headed to Wisconsin this weekend to drink and possibly watch the Michigan State/Wisconsin game.

Aside from jumping around between the third and fourth quarter, what do I need to know?

I've heard about these bratburgers that I have to try and I also heard that State Street is the place to party.

What I'm more concerned about, is finding the best bars and finding out the open intox laws. I googled it and can't figure it out.

Thanks.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, I guess I'm going to be sober and starving because nobody knows Madison.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

I've heard that State Street is the place to party, and you have to try these bratburgers. Heard about them.

Other than that, I got nothing.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I believe State Street Brats has brats and is located on State Street.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Seriously, you pretty much can't go wrong with State St. and especially Regent St. on gameday.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The plan is to spend a lot of time near State St. but we don't know where to tailgate. We don't like to tailgate at bars. In East Lansing, we are accustomed to sitting in field or parking lot and just being obnoxious. But I've heard there aren't big tailgating lots at Madison. I've heard it is more of a house party type thing. Obviously, that won't work for us since we don't know people there, and some of my friends are pushing 30 and balding --- not looking like students anymore.

Also don't know of any good restaurants or what bars to check out. As I know from my trip to Purdue, there are def. some places that need to be seen, and others, not so much.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No, there are no big parking lots at Camp Randall ... so any tailgating done is either done in parking lots of surrounding businesses or at the neighborhood houses themselves.

A couple good bars near the stadium:
    Lucky’s Bar & Grille
    The Stadium Bar

You can't go wrong with Regent St. ... you'll run into plenty around your age, not just the college students (a lot of them are at their houses partying it up).

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Can you walk down the street/campus with open containers of alcohol?

I know at MSU, since 2004, you can only have open containers on game day. And only on campus, not in the city.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No.

There's a good thread to help you out with everything: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2562&t=4512150

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You just saved me a $298 fine. Thank you.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I also recommend The Big Ten Pub for pregame if you can't find a lot to have your tailgate in. They have a huge outdoor patio and have brats grilling nonstop.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just read online that the Big Ten pub has $5 pints of vodka red bull on Saturday night. I'll be in Chicago Thursday and Madison on Friday and Saturday so I will need the entire pint.

Draft saved Draft deleted