1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heading to Austin, Texas ... suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 10, 2016.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hi. Yeah....still alive. This whole "work from home and actually work and then enjoy the rest of the day with your family" is very odd. Now I never have time to just sit at a desk I don't want to be at and check SJ.com.

Anyway...my wife has a business trip to Austin the last week of this month and I am tagging along for fun.
    I'm going to get some work done while down there but for the most part, I am a free man for four days and other than the breweries I will be interviewing for stories, I would like some suggestions on what to check out while there.

I'm sure I will hit up 5th and 6th Streets at least one night.
    Austin City Limits doesn't start taping until March, so I will miss out on that.
    One of my former co-workers covers Texas, so I'm sure I can get him to give me the 10 cent tour of the campus
    I already am planning on taking my wife to the original Salt Lick in Driftwood

So, other than that...what else should I look to be doing? I'm staying on the northside, near Austin Beerworks.

If anyone here on SJ is a local, please let me know and maybe we can meet for a drink or lunch!

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I find Austin overrated. Am I alone?

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Make sure you visit the LBJ Library. Well worth seeing, if only for the animatronic ol' Lyin' Bastard.

Depending on the weather, take a dip in Barton Springs Pool. Always 68 degrees.

The state capitol building is very impressive. Also, the Bullock State Museum.

Scholz Garten if you want a beer in a historical setting.

You won't be there at the right time to see the hordes of bats each night under the Congress Ave. bridge.

South Congress is kind of fun to stroll down.

spikechiquet likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You're getting in before SXSW, which turns Austin into a complete zoo. That's a good thing.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

texaswinetrail.com

Good way to kill a few days. Several day trips can be done from Austin if you plan them right.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Round Rock Donuts.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I agree on the capitol. It's a beautiful building. I was waiting in line to get for a reading at last year's Texas Book Festival, and people were talking about the hinges on the doors leading into the capitol. It's that kind of beautiful.

And if you're going to be on the UT campus, visit the Harry Ransom Center. It's a liberal arts-type museum, with lots of art and manuscripts and -- and I find this fascinating -- the first known photograph.

Harry Ransom Center

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Make sure you open carry. It's all the rage!

spikechiquet likes this.
  10. SpeedTchr

Flip is right. The Ransom Center has some awesome stuff.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Isn't Franklin's barbecue supposed to be the best?
    I don't know if it's worth waiting in the legendary line, but it's pretty well known.

Taco Land is no more: An Oral History Of Taco Land 10 Years After The Death Of Ram Ayala
    Although I heard someone opened a new joint and copped the name, which isn't cool.

Anyway, never been, but those are the two semi-famous places I know of in Austin.

12. SpeedTchr

No food is worth standing in a long line for.

Unless it's after a hurricane or something. Then, maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted