1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headed to Philly/NJ

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chubster, Jun 11, 2007.

1. nah, come on. a beach is a beach. philly offers great restaurants and bars, tons of historical treasures and sites, world-class museums, the largest park in the world that lies within one city and much more.

The Dickens was bought by a couple of its bartenders a few years ago and is now the Dark Horse. it's on headhouse square, just off South Street and highly recommended.

yeah, standard tap is great

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Reading Terminal Market is very cool.
    I've never been to Eastern State prison, but I've been by it plenty of times. I don't think it was open for tours last time I was over there.
    If you're near Eastern State prison, there's a great place to eat on Fairmount called Jack's Firehouse.
    Down the Jersey shore, the Crab Trap in Somer's Point is good.
    There's a better place down in Sea Isle, but it's been so long the name escapes me.
    And of course, the Lobster House in Cape May, as I mentioned. It's the best, Jerry. The best.

In Philly, check out Frederick's on Front Street. Awesome place. Also, Ralph's in South Philly, I can't remember the address. Classic Italian-American eatery.
    Famous Deli is a block off South Street, again the name of the street escapes me.
    I'm actually heading East this fall to visit family and attend a 20-year high school reunion. I should make an eating list.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This quote has been incorrectly attributed to me. I love Philly and the Jersey shore.

4. my bad

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

If you like fine art and are looking for an alternative to the Philly Museum of Art, I'd recommend the Barnes Foundation in suburban Merion (though it used to be in the city, IIRC).

It's got an extensive collection of Renoir, Cezanne and Matisse, plus a few Picassos, Degas, van Goghs, Manets and Monets. I've never been, but had art profs swear by the place.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I might be wrong, but isn't the Crab Trap on the circle in Somer's Point?

I prefer Angelo's pizza better. On a summer night it isn't anywhere near as crowded as M&M but I think just as good. This time next month I'll be down there. Can't wait.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, it is on the roundabout in the Point.

Draft saved Draft deleted