1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Head injuries.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Have you ever dealt with them personally?

What are some symptoms, besides the obvious?

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I can only weigh in with a concussion I got in eighth grade. Split my upper lip, too. I was in the hospital overnight, don't remember a damned thing. But I'm told I kept asking my mom over and over if dad got any ducks that morning. ;D

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I smashed my head on kitchen cabinet door this am - I saw stars and developed slight bump.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My problem with my one and only concussion was that I felt fine about two minutes later and didn't even realize that I was walking sideways.

Ah...the joys of high school football...

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Reason I ask is because I blacked out in high school after a workout, ran head-first into a wall and collapsed. Left the ER with a clean bill of health, but reading some of the lingering symptoms mentioned in the Chrebet thread got me thinking.

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Got my head split open three times as a kid and added a concussion in college...and no side effects that I can tell. Of course, that might change once I go into work wearing my clothes inside-out and backwards.

Um, though, if you've hit your head once, it's probably not a big deal unless oxygen somehow stopped flowing to your brain or unless it was a serious concussion. What's happened recently to make you think you have hangover from that incident?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Dizzy spells that date back to at least that point, as well as some other things.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Also known to cause head injuries ...

[​IMG]

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Might want to see a neurologist, then. Just to be safe. It is VERY hard to monitor your own recovery from something like that.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That also explains dampening our enthusiasm for the lesbian action on the Brady Bunch thread...

11. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Dizziness is a very common symptom for people who have suffered from head trauma. Other things to look for would be cognitive deficits of any kind (memory problems or difficulty problem solving) headaches, sensitivity to light or loud noises, personality changes, problems with fine motor movements.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Go talk to your doc, wicked. He'll assess and send you for further testing if necessary.

In the meantime, here is a great link. It comes with downloads for anyone who might be a coach or athlete themselves ... lots of good information here.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/tbi/Coaches_Tool_Kit.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted