1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He wasn't just the Hair Club for Men president. ... He was also a client

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Phil Rizzuto and the Money Store were a staple on WPIX. As a kid, I couldn’t understand why there was a store to sell money.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

and the Daily News ones with Lupica.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Garcia y Vega was another.

I watch a lot of old baseball games. The commercials are a scream.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I would totally watch a YouTube or Pluto TV channel of nothing but the shit WOR ran in the 80s. Mets baseball with a semi-coherent Ralph Kiner, the Morton Downey Jr. Show, news with Lloyd Lindsey Young doing the weather, the Richard Bey show. For a pre-teen from the Pittsburgh suburbs, it was like being transported to another planet.

I can't remember what I did Monday, but I remember Russ Salzberg was the sports anchor.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Salzberg was a longtime sports anchor on City-TV in Toronto too.

I can kill an hour watching Canadian beer commercials from the 1980s on YouTube.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My mom refused to take us to Action Park. I went on a camp trip and one kid broke his leg another got what today would have been diagnosed as a concussion.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Remember well the Morton Downey Jr. Cigarette Hour, er, Show.

The real craziness as a kid was when the Braves/Cubs/Mets would play each other and you could switch channels between WTBS/WGN/WOR.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Went 5-6 times. It was every bit as insane and reckless as has been told. Virtually lawless and unsupervised. Never went in the loop waterslide as it was always closed.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I went to Action Park when I was maybe 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. So it would have probably been in the early to mid 80s. I was not an adventurous or reckless kid, and I remember the anticipation and adrenaline you'd feel waiting in some of those lines (there were always long lines) where you'd essentially be climbing up what felt like Mount Everest to do something that in hindsight seems insane. I was always there with a bunch of other kids my age and we'd be trying one up each other with bravado, so at the time fear never felt like an option. I was a little scared of some of the rides, but never enough not to look forward to the day. Plus, you usually just got caught up in the fact that there was a line of other teenage boys all climbing up to hurdle their body at a high speed somehow, and that made it seem less intimidating.

Thinking back on it , some of the rides were really insane, though, especially with the way the world has gotten with kids putting on body armor and helmets to just to get on a scooter. Even the tidal wave pool was kind of scary. It got really deep and it would suck people in like a black hole. They had the ride where you'd slide down on a mat going like a zillion miles per hour, and it always ended up with you colliding at full speed with the person in front of you who had somehow slowed down. I can go on and on. The speed boats were ridiculous, too, because of how fast they went and how reckless people would be. I never left there with broken bones, but there were always scrapes and bruises. I don't think anyone under a certain age could conceive of how a place like that existed, probably, but it was actually a crazy amount of fun for a kid that age.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

If you had a good enough remote, you could get your own instant replays of key plays if there was a slight delay between feeds.

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted