1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 25, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Seems like the terrorists don't even pretend to follow the rules.

[​IMG]

A video showing the kidnapped BBC journalist Alan Johnston wearing what appears to be a belt of explosives around his waist has been posted on the internet.
    Alan Johnston seen in new video
    Alan Johnston seen in new video

In the short tape, which has the title Alan's Appeal, Mr Johnston warns that the explosives will be detonated if an attempt is made to free him by force.

The video was made by the Army of Islam, a group with apparent links to al Qaeda which claimed responsibility for snatching Mr Johnston from a street in Gaza City on March 12.

"Captors tell me that very promising negotiations were ruined when the Hamas movement and the British government decided to press for a military solution to this kidnapping," Mr Johnston says in the recording.

"And the situation is now very serious, as you can see."

Mr Johnston is seen wearing a red sweater with a blue and white checked vest strapped around his body - the apparent bomb belt.
    Alan Johnston
    Alan Johnston

"I have been dressed in what is an explosive belt, which the kidnappers say will be detonated if there is an attempt to storm the area," he said.

A Hamas spokesman told Sky News that the faction has a 'written agreement' with Mr Johnston's captors that they would not use force to set him free.

Mr Johnston's father Graham, in a statement about the 'bomb belt', said: "My family and I are obviously most concerned and distressed at this latest development.

"Our thoughts, of course, are with Alan in his present predicament. We earnestly request his abductors to release Alan unharmed in any way."

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Wow. My prayers are with this guy too.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Disgusting that this would happen to anyone. I pray for him as well.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But the terrorists believe you're praying to the wrong God. And they're willing to kill this guy, thousands of others like him, or themsevles, to prove it.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's probably why they're terrorists. If they followed the rules, they would be good law-abiding citizens, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted