1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He may be a man and he may be 40 ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Depends on if there is a contract or not. If the carpenter is working on Gundy's place, which I assume, is pretty high-end, he was expecting a pretty good paycheck for it, and probably rejected other jobs to work for him.

$30K divided by 13 weeks is $2,307 per week. That's $461 per day, about $57 per hour. If the guy is majorly skilled, that sounds like a pretty fair wage.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Part of Gundy's job is to convince boosters, players, school officials and his staff that being a Cowboy means something more than just reading books and playing sports. Boosters shell out money to buy a way of life. The backup offensive lineman that has no shot at getting drafted has to believe blocking for Oklahoma State is a way to make his mark in the world.

And now Gundy will walk up to any one of them and say, "I believe in Cowboy pride so much, I fired a carpenter for wearing a Oklahoma shirt to my house. Paid him ten thousand dollars to get off my property, and I got the court records to prove it."

If you wanna sell it, you gotta believe it first.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What Would T-Boone Do?

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Me too. I call his outburst regarding the QB righteous anger. But this ....

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Then when that backup offensive lineman is out at a bar in Stillwater and sees a co-ed wearing an OU hat "on OSU soil" and goes up and punches her in the face, should that be OK as long as he is willing to pay the legal consequences?

Assault and breaking a contract are not in the same ballpark, but they are both wrong. I'd prefer my football coaches to teach his players about doing the right thing, behaving appropriately and treating others the way they should be treated. And yes, win games along the line. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

If the only way Gundy has to show "Cowboy pride" to lure recruits and build his program is to throw temper tantrums in press conferences and break a contract because a worker had the audacity to wear an OU baseball shirt, then I would argue he isn't much of a recruiter or a coach.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Um .... kind of a stretch. And the temper tantrum had nothing to do with pride, but rather sticking up for one of his players, which I also would have done (just in a less whiny, memorable sound bytey sort of way).

7. Gundy opens his mouth and inserts his foot yet again.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely it's a stretch, but they are both wrong and both juvenile, socially unacceptable ways to show some loyalty to "Cowboy pride"

Not wanting to revisit the temper tantrum issue, but I believed from the second it happened that it had nothing to do with the player and everything to do with Gundy wanting to show that he's a tough guy who can puff out his chest and scream and yell and be the stereotypical football coach and bully anyone who doesn't fall in line behind him.

And the player who Gundy was supposedly was defending said the rant "basically ruined my life"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3341578

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

What's Gundy going to sell? His Big 12 championships? You gotta sell something, even if it's crazy. And when you're recruiting against Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, TCU and the SEC West, crazy is the biggest thing Mike Gundy has going for him.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Boosters and recruits eat this shit up.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Probably jizz in Mike's hair one more time. What? You thought that was gel?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted