1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He has but one ball, and it's made of brass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 1, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lance Armstrong's defense in the upcoming whistleblower suit is: The US Postal Service had to know I was doping, because there was a story in the NYT accusing me of it.

And besides, the Post Office made a lot of money off me.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/new-filing-glimpses-armstrong-defense_347817

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From a common sense standpoint (and yes, I know common sense has no role in a civil law suit), when he says, "You should have known," shouldn't they simply respond, "YOU were saying you were clean. We took YOU at your word."

Doesn't that really cut through it? Because, "You should have known," is a ridiculous defense when you get caught in a lie.

The other half seems much more of a question. They are basically suing him for defrauding them. I'd think that to win that sort of thing -- or at least collect anything -- you'd have to prove some sort of harm. If he can turn around and say, "You made a ridiculous amount of money from your association with me," they have a much harder time proving that it harmed them in any way.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd assume they'll need to demonstrate some level of damages. That's going to be difficult.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Simply another example of Lance being among the great scumbags of our time.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Here, Sally! Lap lap lap!

Ignatius_J._Reilly likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think the Government is suing him for using their funds to bankroll a corrupt endeavor; they've also managed to glom onto Floyd Landis' whistleblower suit.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't understood the suit that way.

But if we want a corrupt endeavor, shouldn't someone be asking why the USPS, which was bleeding money, gave $42 million to an athlete who competes in a sport that isn't even popular in the U.S.?

8. Vombatus

Is was good for advertising USPS to French customers.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was fun when people were defending him because he hadn't tested positive.

He's a sociopath.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Lance generated a pretty fair amount of publicity right here in the good ol' US of A.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It never made me even think about running out to buy a book of stamps.

12. Vombatus

Made me think about periodically checking my nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted