1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That sucks. We still have to wait a week until we get our DirecTV installed.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can always watch that new BluRay player you got....

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And when Charter declares bankruptcy and if Comcast comes into our area, my first call is direct TV; my second is Bell South for internet...

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Feb. 9? Did you move to Russia?

Congrats, you'll love it. I'm on the HD movie channel all the time, just filling the DVR for a rainy day.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, are you a member of Costco?

And yes, you must have an HD receiver and it eally should be an HD DVR.

No matter what everyone says, it will always be the best TV in your living room.

Also, base the size of the TV to the room it will sit.

I have a 52'', and I sit about 12 feet from the screen. It is perfect.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11267348&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11301541&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341|3316|74672&N=4001374%204294967225&Mo=8&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=79*2341*3316*74672*&topnav=
    Oh, you will need a stand as well.

My tv is a 786, and it still rocks.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Done and done. Right now, I'm working with a 26-inch Westinghouse HDTV. The idea is to keep it around until we get a bigger one here in a few months, then move it into the bedroom. It's definitely been a great TV thus far.

We had Comcast in Ala-effin-Bama and we cut about half off our Cable/Internet bill when we moved here and switched to Cox. I loved DirecTV when I had it in the past , but it might not be worth it now. We get pretty much every channel we need, plus the ability to get the NBA, College hoops, football and NHL packages along with all other PPV stuff. Unless we can save more than a few bucks with DirecTV and get the same amount of channels, including the HD lineup, we'll stay with Cox for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you read his posts? He already bought his TV....

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Bought a 50" Panasonic plasma before Christmas 2007, like early December. It was delivered the next day. DirecTV's installer brought a new dish with him that same day. And the installer I hired to mount the TV and run the cables came the day after that. From walking into the store to final installation took about 3 days. Love it.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

We recently welcomed a 42-inch Insignia LCD to our family. I love it as if it were my own child.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My twins are named Philips and lil' Vizio... both fine 37-inch boys

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My fail...

Moddy, you can still watch the Super Bowl in HD, though. You do not have to wait for thr install.

Get a pair of rabbit ears from Radio Shack and try to get them close to a window away from a tree.

HD is given away for free by the local channels.

I actully mounted a $100 one on my fence in my yard so I can get the NBC12 weather channel and use it as a backup if DirecTV flakes out.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'll second 93Devil, Moddy. And I'll recommend this particular antenna. I've got it, and so do a few colleagues. Works like a charm -- I hooked it up, left it behind the TV and it picks up HD signals from a 15-to-20-mile radius. I get both the main CBS, NBC, ABC affiliates plus their news/weather substations.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2253765

Draft saved Draft deleted