1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So did that one

Moddy found this at 1100: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2288408

I found this one at 1200: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2288409

Both come with a blu-ray player, both are 1080p, both have 5 HDMI inputs, both have 10,000-1 dynamic contrast.
    Is the 100 buck difference for 120hz worth it? yes, because current TV's are sort of like computers -- obsolete within a short time of buying it. So for 100 bucks more to get new technology instead of old?
    Yeah, I think so.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

When my girlfriend's in town, she frequently watches HD channels on their low-def counterparts. It drives me crazy, even when I'm working in another room of the house. I paid for the HDTV, dammit.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Sounds like my wife . . . hey, when was the last time your girlfriend was in town? (checks wife's appt. calendar).

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Moddy, 1080p.. only one to get... Sharp Aquos is the finest LCD on the market. Sony Bravia would come in next. We have a Bravia... I can see it clearly from about 60 degrees or so from the side when I'm in the kitchen... Key to all this, use the HDMI cable.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't know Ms. Slappy had sisters

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I might be related. Neither one of my parents has figured out the HD channel/normal channel thing. Dad complains once a month about the picture not being any better.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So the sucker shows up today in all its glory - and DirecTV can't get out to install the new dish and receivers until Feb. 9th.
    I'm gonna have to smack someone.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why can't I have an open-minded parent like this around? :(

Hope you get better DirecTV installers than we did. After we ordered it, they cancelled installation dates twice. We turned around, cancelled the service and sent the equipment back.

If they were going to be like that before charging for monthly service, I didn't want to think about how bad they were going to be once they had their hands in our checkbook.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You still gots cable?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have DirecTV now. I need a different dish and receiver to pick up HD. I can watch the thing but who wants to watch an HD TV in NON HD??

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We just got Cox Cable hooked up in our house with an HD cable box. However, the non-HD channels only fit into about three quarters of the screen, with the empty space on each side. I tried to adjust the screen but when I stretch it out to fill the whole screen, it effs up the HD channels a bit. Thankfully, just about every channel in our lineup has an HD counterpart. So we're good for the most part.

I'll definitely be in the market for a bigger HDTV in the near future. If you have great success with yours, Moddy, I may follow suit. That thing looks bad ass.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't adjust the set for the non-HD channels. It's not fit for the same ratio and the proportions get all screwed up. If your TV allows it, try to have the panes on each side blacked out. Seems to look better and, if nothing else, doesn't offer that consistent reminder that it's not a full picture. Hope that makes sense ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted