1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, I know we've done this before. Indulge me. I'm finally succumbing to pressure at home to upgrade the TV.
    I have no clue but am told this one is pretty good at the price I can get.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2288408

Thoughts? Suggestions? 1100 is about the best I can go at this point and even that is a reach.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry... two things to look for ... 120HZ and as much contrast as you can get

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Allow me to suggest this one from the same place....
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2288409
    with the discount from Dell (add to your cart) it's 100 bucks more, and you get 120hz which is better for sports and high action; contrast ratio is the same and comes with blu-ray too...

Nice move getting from Dell.. no interest for a year;

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Moddy, It has been more than a year since I got a big HDTV, so I have no idea what prices should be. But that looks like a nice set. You can't go wrong with a 1080P TV at that resolution -- 1920 X 1080. One thing some less expensive sets scrimped on when I got mine were the inputs. The TV you are looking at looks great on that front, though. Plenty of component and composite inputs, back and sides and 5 HDMI inputs, which is key, if I am reading that correctly. One other thing to look at on sets is the contrast ratio, but that link says "not available" under "Image Contrast Ratio." I'd want to know, and would want a set that offers as much of a ratio as possible on an LCD TV. From what I understand, the contrast is an important part of the picture on an LCD TV, so you want the difference between the brightest and darkest aspects of the picture to be well defined. They are making TVs now with a 2 million to 1 contrast ratio. I'd make sure this one has a decent ratio. Other than that, the TV looks good. I'd want to actually see it in a store, and I did, but it was probably useless, because you have no idea how they have the thing hooked up or if your picture is going to translate to what you see in a showroom. My LCD TV was made by Samsung, by the way. Was very happy with it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have two -- one Vizio and one Philips and I like them both, but r-e-a-l-l-y like the Philips.
    The one Moddy looked at has 10,000-1 contrast ratio

6. Moderator1

Thanks, slap. Looked at that one, too, wasn't sure what made it cost more - you think it is worth the difference?

7. The Big Ragu

Slap, The one he was looking at comes with the Blu Ray player also.

8. The Big Ragu

Another difference between your link and Slappy's is the response time. The one you are looking at is 6 ms. Slappy's is 4 ms. It is an indication of how fast the screen displays moving images. Slow response times create ghosting. It is particularly important for gaming, but if I remember correctly, 16 ms was a cut-off point where ghosting becomes a big problem with DVDs and games, so even though faster response time is probably better, both of those numbers are probably good.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Make sure you get the inputs, Moddy. I got my HDTV several years ago, and it has plenty of inputs ... but just of them is HDMI, and I have to use component cables for a few things I'd rather use HDMI. It does make a difference, and if you're buying an HDTV, that difference is important.

I'll have to upgrade at some point, but it's justifiably low on my priority list.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Succumbing to pressure at home to upgrade the TV" ... now that's one sentence I'll never get the pleasure of typing. My wife wants to get rid of our Dish and doesn't see any benefit in HD programming. Heresy!

11. Moderator1

My son is back home for a while thanks to a promotion/job transfer so I need to take advantage of his expertise (and trash removing ability) while he is there. I think the only thing we upgraded in his six years away was a new crock pot.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

And you've not had us over for food in this new crockpot?!??!?! HRMPF!

Draft saved Draft deleted