1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

You DO need HDMI cables, however, you DON'T need to buy the expensive ones. From everything I have read, the discount ones work just fine. And you can sometimes get 'em for about 7 or 8 bucks.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So is that a good price for the Vizio?

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Inky, it seems a little high for a 60hz but I could be wrong. I would think, in that size, you could find a 120hz for around 6 bills.

Edit: A little hunting found this, but I know nothing about the retailer. Good luck.

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/vizio-37-inch-eco-1080p-lcd-hdtv/13896.aspx

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Vizio is an excellent brand.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, LCD saps up much less energy than a plasma.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also FWIW, Consumer Reports frequently lists Insignia -- Best Buy's house brand -- as the top LCD set in terms of HDTV. That's what we went with, for a very good price, and love it. I recommend it.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

There's a website where you can get your HDMI cables for less than $8. Do not buy them at Best Buy/Target/WalMart etc or wherever you go to buy your TV. If you're set on getting a new TV, then order them in advance.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

it's actually 720 and 1080 but you're right, unless you're watching a blueray, it's a waste of money to go for the 1080. i found this out unfortunately after buying a 1080.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Buy cables someplace like monoprice.com, or through buy.com. And if someone at Best Buy, etc., tells you the expensive ones are better they're full of poo. The markup on those things is where they make their money.

For the actual TV, check out Consumer Reports for advice and ratings. We have a Panasonic and a Sony and are very happy with both. I've never had a good experience with anything made by Samsung.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Go to ebay and get for 85 percent less.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do not choose a TV based on how the picture looked in the showroom.

Because you will want nothing close to those settings in your living room.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dell's got this one for Cyber Monday for 500 that's real close to what you see, Inky...
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3139068

and this 1080p 120hz 47 inch vizio for 800...
    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/cyber-monday?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&ref=hbn

Draft saved Draft deleted