1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Help a high-def luddite out here. While I'm versed in many realms of geekery, I'm not sure what to be looking at when it comes to a new TV.

Sam's has, I think, some hellacious HD deals right now. Specifically, a 37-inch Vizio LCD for less than $600. It's a 1080p, but it's a 60Hz. The Hz comes into play when watching sports, right? Higher the Hz, the less blur when the action is moving fast?

Anyway, what should I be looking for in a HD set? Should I avoid certain brands?

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

What I was told by several salespeople at several stores as well as all the research I did was that plasma is better for sports because it has much less of the blurry delay that LCD does. I went with a plasma and the sports are great -- no such blur at all. A buddy of mine has an LCD and there is a definite blur when the action moves too fast. LCD is believed to be better for slower images because it has more vivid colors than plasma. But if you're like me and 90% of your tv watching is sports, go with plasma.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

HDMI ports are nice to have.

I would look for at least three (cable, blu-ray, and another gadget)

Will you hang it or set it on something? If it is not hanging on a wall, let them know that in the store. I think you can get more bang for your buck if it does not hang.

4. 93Devil

Oh, whatever you get will look great in your living room. Don't worry if it is 1/100th not as good as the one next to it in the store.

You know you will be paying more for cable now, right? Factor that in.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yes. Definitely pay the extra 40 bucks or so for the HDMI cable. It makes a huge difference. The HDMI cable is basically a different way of hooking it up and it is well worth it.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Unless you plan to play a bunch of video games, then go LCD for lower risk of burn-in.

FWIW, my in-laws bought a Samsung last year around this time. It lasted three months. The company replaced it, the replacement lasted six months. Wouldn't replace it again. In-laws just bought a new set this weekend and, needless to say, it wasn't a Samsung.

7. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

In regards to the 1080 vs. 780 (or 720 or whatever it is) ....... it is my understanding that very few shows will be broadcast in 1080 for quite a few years. So a 1080 doesn't do much more than a 780 right now because most stuff is still being broadcast in 780, even when you're viewing it on a 1080 TV.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Our 3 year old 42" Plasma Samsung just crapped out, I won't be buying another Samsung.

9. 93Devil

I just replaced the bulb in my Mitsubishi that I bought in 2006. That was about $100, but it still works fine (touch wood).

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I just went downstairs to check my tv after reading this because I could've sworn it was a Samsung. Luckily it's a Panasonic.

I bought mine for dirt cheap when Circuit City was going our of business.

Much of it is personal preference in regards to what you mostly watch, video games, etc.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Really? Time Warner (which is what I have) broadcasts solely in HD, if their commercials are to be believed. I don't have an HDTV (pardon me while I start laughing...riiiiiight) but I think if you have an HDTV and hook it up to your cable box, you'll pay the same price but your channels will be in HD.

I hope that made sense.

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yes and no.

You have to have a cable package that offers HD channels. I also have Time Warner and the lower channels are all the standard definition channels which, even on my HD tv, still come in in standard definition. The higher up channels are the HD versions of those same channels. So for instance, I can watch Seinfeld in standard definition on one channel but flip it to another channel and watch it in HD. And I believe the most basic cable package does not have many HD channels. The higher up the price scale you climb, the more HD channels are offered. I have a few channels that are in standard definition only but if I upgraded to the next package I would get the HD version of those as well.

In short, simply having an HD tv does not mean all your channels will be in HD.

Draft saved Draft deleted