1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, Feb 16, 2008.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Ragu,
    I am impressed with your knowledge. I have a 27-inch 1080i Samsung CRT HDTV.
    Even with the small size, HD looks very good.
    I can hardly wait to get a bigger screen.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ragu, there is one component you can discern between "i" and "p". HD or Blu-ray.
    But you're spot-on about contrast ratio, saturation and accuaracy being very important.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I've seen both as well...I just think p handles fast motion better.
    Difference in resolution? Nope, just less pixelation for fast movement.

4. Thanks, Ragu, for some valuable insight.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've read estimates that at least 50 % of tv watching population cannot see the difference between 1080p and 720.
    Sony recomends that before you purchsase a 1080p set that you should have an eye doctor test your ability to pick it up.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My trusty JVD 27-inch tube died last night. First gave me a gray screen with white lines in front of the picture, then nothing. So I suppose I'd better make the HDTV switch this week. I game a lot on mine, so should I be thinking LCD? Also, I have this tendency to sleep with my TV on because i'm scurred of the darkI have trouble sleeping if it's too quiet. To what degree would that affect its life expectancy? (it's only a bedroom set, so no chance of getting a projection TV).

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

As for a cheap electronics place to buy em, check out Tiger Direct. Just make sure you carefully read the specs.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I would go with 1080i. I've tested both, and the picture quality with 1080i was noticeably better.

If you decide to go with a big-box store, do your analysis then order from either their online site or if someone here has another site that's a proven money-saver without sacrificing service, I'd highly recommend it. I made the mistake of buying my HDTV at a big-box store, noticed that the online price with the same company was $100 less and threatened to return it unless they refunded the difference.

9. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3312090&CatId=386

This looks like a pretty good deal. Am I missing something?

10. T2

T2 Member

Well, if you watch the TV for eight hours and then leave it on while you sleep for another eight hours, that would burn it out twice as fast as merely watching it for eight hours. Since a plasma's life expectancy is shorter and its electricity usage and burn-in are higher than an LCD, that would indicate that an LCD would be your better choice, right?

11. T2

T2 Member

Sports are shot with video cameras. At 1080i (interlaced), there are 60 half-frames (called "fields") per second; but at 720p or 1080p (progressive), there are 30 full frames per second. Fast motion does look different.

Most movies, however, are still released at 24 full frames per second. To show them in HD, these frames are repeated as necessary to make up the 30 or 60 required by the video format. But as the original fast motion was frozen at 24 full frames per second, there won't be much difference when those frames are shown either "i" or "p."

I suspect that's why HBO and other movie-centric channels went with 1080i instead of 720p. The "i" or "p" makes little difference for movies, and 1080 has more than twice as many pixels as 720.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

but which is better for sports viewing?

Draft saved Draft deleted