1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, Feb 16, 2008.

1. I'm sure I'm not the only one planning to get my first HDTV with my tax return or even that rebate in the summer.
    I've done some research, but I'm torn on whether to get 1080i or 720p. Based on what I've read, the first one is a better picture, but the second one is better for motion.
    Also, where are the best deals?
    Anything else you all think I should know?
    Thanks for any help.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If you're not planning on hanging it on a wall, rear projection is the best bang for your buck -- especially since Sony is phasing theirs out. We got a 50" 1080p Sony for $1,299 and it's spectacular.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Actually depends if your getting an LCD or Plasma. Plasmas perform a bit better in motion, with the exception of the higher-end LCDs. Namely, the Sony Bravias.
    The TV for you also depends on many factors. Like affordability, size, room size, primary usage and room lighting.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Hardly anyone broadcasts in 1080-anything, so if you're planning on using it to watch a lot of TV, I'd go with the biggest 720p you can find. As stated above, rear-projection (DLP) is good way to get a little more value for the money.

But if you plan to watch a lot of movies, then make the step up to 1080p, don't bother with the 1080i. Of course, you'll have to buy a Blu-Ray player (I'd choose the PlayStation3 for that, it's a multi-tasker).

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is a column with great overview of HDTV. I agree on what they say about Rear projection. It is the best value on market.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/clearing-up-some-of-the-confusion-over-hdtv/

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Ummmmm
    NBC - 1080
    CBS - 1080
    HBO - 1080
    Showtime - 1080
    Starz - 1080

There is a lot in 1080

Ok, now that I've made my case on that, I'd say, yes, go 1080p, especially if you want to buy a blu-ray.
    Also, it looks like Toshiba will be abandoning HD DVD within the next few weeks. They announced yesterday they are going to make a decision.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

That's 1080i, not 1080p.

TVs that are 720p, like my 50-inch Panasonic plasma, do reach 1080i, not 1080p.

That latter is only necessary if you want HD DVD or BluRay. Sports and TV do not broadcast in 1080p.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I know that, but you are ripping yourself off if you buy a 720p to watch broadcasts.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Buy 1080. The HDMI output is better for both broadcast and DVD. Even if you equipment "ups" to 1080, for a couple hundred bucks, you will notice. Go into a store, and compare the picture. It's discernable.
    Now, if you want to compare 1080i and 1080p, that's a different story.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FYI, There is no practical difference between a 1080i and 1080p set. First off, no one is broadcasting in 1080p and they won't be anytime soon because of bandwidth issues. So the only place it could theoretically matter is if you have HD DVD or Blue Ray. But even there it doesn't matter with the types of TVs most people are buying. The explanation is kind of technical, but 1080i and 1080p TVs both are displaying the same signal at the same resolution. The "i" stands for interlaced (as opposed to progressive) and interlaced pictures alternate the even and odd horizontal lines at a refresh rate of 1/30 frames per second. Only CRT displays can properly display an interlaced signal, though, and most of the TVs people are buying are LCDs, DLPs, Plasmas, etc. And those are all progressive type TVs, so they take the interlaced signal (and anyone broadcasting at 1080 is broadcasting an interlaced signal anyhow) and display it in a progressive type of resolution like 720p or 1080p. The net effect is that you can't you won't be able to tell any difference between the two. Same thing wit a Blue Ray disc... If you own an LCD or Plasma TV, it is reading the disc and giving you a progressive display anyhow. So it isn't worth sweating over 1080p vs. 1080i.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

There is a difference.
    Just as ABC and ESPN and Fox went 720p because progressive is better for fast motion of sports, etc. you can notice it on a 1080p vs 1080i set.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

mark, I've watched both. And read a zillion tests, which of course are subjective. But even if you can find any 1080p output--and no one is broadcasting it, the FCC doesn't even recognize it yet--the human eye can not tell the difference. Cnet did one test a while ago where they lined up 5 TVs and watched one of the Mission Impossible movies. On many of the TVs, they could tell no discernable difference and the slightest increase in detail in near background images in scenes with long depths of field, but nothing anyone would notice unless they were really scrutinizing the picture to find differences. This observation has been mirrored by just about everything I have read. The Imaging Science Foundation, which consults for home theater manufacturers and trains video calibrators says that the most important thing when it comes to picture quality is contrast ratio, followed by color saturation and followed by color accuracy. Everyone pays way too much attention to these resolution questions. You're better off paying up for the higher-end 720p or 1080i TV that displays a better picture than you are worrying over whether it is interlaced or progressive, because no one is broadcasting at 1080p anyhow, and even if they were, your eye won't be able to tell the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted