1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HD DVD officially dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rex Harrison, Feb 19, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Any word on when? I'm about to buy one.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://www.macworld.com/article/131758/2008/01/.html

It's about a month old, but Sony denies any price drops in the near future.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Why would they? Blu-Ray now has the market. Either you want one or don't, you don't have an option any longer.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i got a blu-ray player free with my new tv

blu-ray players, like hd dvd, upconvert your old dvds

from what i've read, blu-ray is more expensive to make but has much more storage space

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While Blu-Ray is now alone in that market, Sony is still going to have to compete with people just downloading DVD's onto their computer, which is why the price will still come down on hardware and discs.

While they have this advantage, they can't afford to price people out of the market, when the number of digital downloads goes up every year and makes Blu-Ray look overpriced. In addition, they need to start shifting more PS3's because Microsoft is kicking their ass in the games market.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Will Blu-Ray be the last physical media for movies? As it is, you can get high-def movies downloaded directly through Xbox Live. So is this it for discs?

Draft saved Draft deleted