1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HD/DISH network Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Roommate recently got Dish HD set up in the house...One problem is that we don't have the local channels(ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS). The installer mentioned to the roommate we need something but he isn't the brightest and didn't write down what we need.

So I'm looking for what I need to get the local HD channels and what piece of equipment specifically you would recommend. Looking to buy it Friday afternoon in time to get it set up for the NFL on Saturday and Sunday.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

An HD antenna. They're relatively small and inexpensive, and available any place that sells electronics.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Doc is right, but hopefully you live close to a city (20-25 miles). It is a headache, but the dishes are awsome in every other way.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Simon, Dish probably has your local channels available. Stupidly, Dish still charges for local channels (DirecTV offers them as a no-extra-charge part of the package).

Suggest you smack roomie around.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Simon, if you've got an old set of rabbit ears around, try those. Since you're in Columbia, you're not too far from the transmitters and those might work. If not, Radio Shack will have something.

The deal with OTA digital is that it pretty much works or it doesn't--it doesn't come in fuzzy. You're close enough that it should work fine with a fairly inexpensive antenna.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

If OTD is correct and Simon is in Columbia, the channels are actually not available. They're available in standard def, but aren't in HD. My parents are in the area, have dish, and can't get the networks on HD.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

There really is no such thing as an HD antenna.
    Anything that picks up UHF will do.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Or get DirecTV and cut all the bullshit.
    You local networks are a carried HD signal.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Not in all markets.
    And they don't have PBS HD yet (it is being added ini 2008).

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We have Dish, and got an external antenna. It's hit-and-miss, the local FOX station comes in great, ABC very good, CBS/NBC a crapshoot. Frustrating.

As for DirecTV, when we were choosing a satellite service they were adamant we had to have a home phone line. Anyone else heard of that? We didn't want one 'cause we live off the cell phones, so we went with Dish, opting to pony up an extra $5/month for some kind of access fee deal (they too asked for home phone line but said they could go without, but with a fee). I'm sure that's a racket, but oh well.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This according to a TV geek forum:

He should be able to get NBC (go KOMU!) and ABC fine, maybe not on CBS, which is down in Jeff City, as I recall.

spup, tell your dad to hook up the ol' rabbit ears, and he'll have HD.

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

I followed the The Good Doc's advice and got a receiver. Hooked up...watching Pats-Jags in HD. Only bitch is that the Fox affiliate(Fuck 'em) set up a deal where they only put HD on Mediacom(cable) so they could bypass some FCC thing. It's okay...the NFC sucks anyways.

I'm on the south side of town so getting CBS isn't any trouble(at 75 percent) now. Only fox sucks balls.

Draft saved Draft deleted