1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

False dichotomy.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I could see how you might make that mistake, but it isn't.

Not every creative endeavor is art
    I have never seen a TV show that rises to the level of art.
    It is entertainment, and I am doubtful that art could flourish in that industry.

What you should point out is Mencken's false premise that this show is not bound by ideas of fairness or balance because art is not bound by those strictures.

However, I agree with the sentiment that a show about two male cops solving a murder may not need a 'strong female character.'

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I disagree. There are plenty of examples of TV rising to the level of art. I think at times "Breaking Bad" did. Same for "The Wire." Few complete episodes of "The Simpsons" do, but sometimes there are moments when it does, esp. when they do different things with their opening credits.

Art doesn't have to be pretentious. Theater is often art without pretentiousness. The same can be true of TV. I think that "True Detective" is one of the more innovative approaches to raising TV to the level of art.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't get the complaint that it doesn't portray strong women.

I mean, just last night there was a memorable scene showing a woman on top.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Grantland's Molly Lambert (a woman!) dismisses the "True Detective hates women" argument:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/her-looming-shadow-grows-the-women-of-true-detective/

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think art has to be pretentious.
    However, I have never seen a television program I consider art.
    I've seen things that are inventive. moving, entertaining, well crafted, but I haven't seen art.

I have enjoyed 'True Detective' very much, with the notable exception of last night's episode, but it's not art.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your definition of art is far too narrow. I don't mean that to say True Detective rises to that level. I'm way behind, but so far I wouldn't describe it that way. But no television is art? Have to strongly disagree there.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Was kind of expecting a slower episode last night.

And I didn't mind it at all. I think the next two are going to be quite incredible.

I rewatched Episodes 1 and 2 earlier today and the picture that Rust shows Marty at the end, the "scarred man" is the same picture a little girl from Episode 1 tells the detectives was chasing her through the woods "the spaghetti-faced monster" or something a long those lines.

Marty also sees some disturbing scenes in a video Rust shows him. Could it be Hart's daughter was somehow touched by the evil surrounding what I think is the Tuttle church initiative? Maybe that's the video that makes Marty react that way?

Either way, this is setting up to be a great finish IMO

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I forget which episode it was in, but the guy mowing the lawn at the abandoned school fits the description of the "spaghetti-faced monster/scarred man" pretty well:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Episode 2. And good pull. I was halfway through Ep. 2 and fell asleep.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Part of my theory:
    Marty's father-in-law is in with the Carcosa-Yellow King-cult, and Marty's daughter(s) has been exposed to some kind of trauma, which led to her using dolls to stage a murder or gang rape scene, drawing the pictures and acting out in some fairly extreme ways as a teen.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

You and about 10,000 posters on reddit, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted