1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

The whole thing took a left turn this week for me. But I should've expected something like that.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The thing that has separated TD from other shows like it is that it's always been more about the detectives than the case they were investigating (or the perpetrator of said case). That they would "solve" the case in Episode 5 is more proof that this is a different kind of show.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have to disagree just a bit.
    If the show was really just about the characters, I'd be bored silly.
    There's great interplay between character and story. The story reveals character consistently, and the character development moves the story.
    I can't stand shows that are about characters. These characters are interesting but they remain in service to a story.

I really dig this show.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

People try to say every show they like is "really about the characters."

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way. After the first couple of episodes people weren't talking about who killed the girls, they were talking about the actors' performance and analyzing what was wrong with each detective.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I will say that when the "shit" hit the fan at LeDoux's (sp?) I was wondering just how the hell they would cover it up so well, especially because they were telling the story after the fact.

Every aspect of this show has me hooked. I care about pretty much every character and am interested to see where this thing plays itself out going forward.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Started 'the King in Yellow' last night.
    Very cool, if you like that kind of thing.
    And I do.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm having trouble liking this show. It's jus that after Alexandra Daddario's full frontal early on, I'm afraid not to watch.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm through about the first 1 1/2 episodes now. I like it, but the only thing that bothers me is that I don't feel like the two McConaugheys are the same guy. In the mid-90s scenes he's playing a very stoic, though odd, buttoned-up, high-strung guy. In the modern scenes, he's wise-cracking Matthew McConaghey from "Killer Joe" or any number of other films.

A little cognitive dissonance for me, even granting that people can change over the years.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So keep watching.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Planning on it.

Like I said: I like it so far.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Let's just say, there are reasons for this dichotomy between Rust of 1995 and Rust in 2012.

Draft saved Draft deleted