1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just love some of the lines from this past week.

Hart: You've got some bed-side manner
    Chole: Being stupid is easier than calling in sick and this is a bar, not a f+++++++ bedside

a little later in the convo

Hart: You're the Michael Jordan of being a son of a bitch.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe my favorite part of the episode what Rust giving Hart the cell phone and explaining all he had to do was push the green button to answer and the red to hang up. Only way it would have been better was it if had been one of those bag phones you had to plug into the cigarette lighter.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

I just found that whole last 15 minutes to be incredible. From the time Rust steps into the biker bar the tension mounted and mounted and mounted.

4. Chole: You can't recognize crazy pussy?

5. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Favorite line so far was episode one, Rust convincing one of the cops to go snag him a sixer of Old Milwaukee or Lone Star ... nothin' snooty. Blows him the cash along the table. 'Appreciate some hustle up on that.' Great, great show.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Today's Thursday.

I drink on Thursdays.

You don't get to interrupt that.

(or something similar. Awesome stuff).

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We couldn't find any Old Mil or Lone Star tall boys to drink with Sunday's ep, so we settled on some PBR. Hipster, but not snooty.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Good stuff.

9. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I hesitate to admit this because the commercials are so godawful and it might as well be water with a kick, but Coors Light is my non-snooty beer of choice.

I love the slow boil so far. Seems pretty obvious the two cops grilling Rust are looking at him for the Lake Charles killing in 2012, but don't buy it.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

The only thing I heard to make me want to watch was "they don't solve a murder every episode." So I watched and now I'm hooked. I don't like proceedurals because of that trope of TV murder. Well, unless it's "Psych," which breaks the fourth wall to wink at us with lines like "There's a murder every week. Santa Barbara has to be the muder capital of the country. Why aren't people fleeing this city in droves?" or something like that. But it's a comedy, it can get away with it.

But the thought that an investigation will span eight episodes and may not get solved? Hells yeah.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

On a side note, this has some of the best eye-candy on an HBO show in a long time.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I laughed a couple of times:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/justinabarca/this-is-the-true-detective-meme-youve-been-waiting-for

Draft saved Draft deleted