1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Recount, no thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, May 31, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Slick fare, as usual.

Middle-age Laura Dern's a ringer for the epithelial Katherine Harris.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dern, Leary and Spacey were great.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

excellent, excellent job. dern was sensational. 8) 8) 8)

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It was a better movie than I thought it would be.

I thought Laura Dern was probably a little over the top. But the rest of the cast was very good.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Gotta say I'm getting a little tired of HBO's left-leaning fare.

I can't seem to find any info on their next showing of "Chappaquiddick Revisited."

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

over the top???!!! she was playing katherine harris, for cryin' out loud!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. JBHawkEye

I know, I know. But I thought it was a little too much.

Like I said, the rest of the cast was very good.

8. You know that the writing was left-leaning but all-in all I thought it was very well done and showed both sides in a fair light. A couple of comments.

- Kevin Spacey's character telling Dennis Leary's character "You say fuck alot" was a great line.
    - Tom Wilkinson was great as James Baker. After his Benjamin Franklin in John Adams - he's becoming HBO's go-to actor.
    - Ed Begley Jr. also did a fine job as David Boies
    - I think it was hindsight that led them to take some shots at Al Gore and Joe Lieberman

9. JBHawkEye

Apparently the guy who was played by Leary thought he was a little too foul-mouthed as well, from one of the stories I read.

The shot at Lieberman was pretty obvious.

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I thought it was pretty good.

It may have been a little left-leaning, but Warren Christopher didn't like the way he was presented.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty darn entertaining, especially when you consider you know how everything turned out. I think followers of either party could find something to complain about, which means the movie was pretty fairly balanced.

I can't wait until 2016 when HBO puts out a movie on the Obama-Clinton fun ... ;)

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just finished watching it like 10 minutes ago. Very compelling. I'll never forget coming home from work on election night, watching the news channels until like 6 a.m. (as Rather slowly lost his mind) and thinking, "I can't believe i'm going to bed not knowing who the next president is!" Turns out, I'd have had to stay up a looooong time.

The scene with Spacey and Leary in the alley was greatness. And Wilkinson is one of the best actors working. Nobody could have done his roles in "In The Bedroom' or "Michael Clayton" better.

Draft saved Draft deleted