1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 17, 2011.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

That just sucked. I hate that little bastard of a king.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm hoping the Starks cut Jamie Lanister's head off as soon as they get the word on Ned, capture Kings Landing and cut Joffery's head off in front on his mother before doing the same to her. And then they can send the stupid red headed daughter to live a life of cleaning chamber pots at the Wall.

That's how I'd write it.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a successful TV show that killed off the main character in Season 1? I can't think of one.

Coming into this, there were only six people on this show I'd ever seen before: Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage, Aiden Gillen (Carcetti from The Wire), Lena Headey (from 300), the guy who plays the commander of The Wall (he was Hamish's father in Braveheart) and the guy who plays Tywin Lannister (he was the villain in The Golden Child).

And now one of them is gone. Not sure how I feel about it.

BTW, Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) is set to star in the Conan the Barbarian re-boot:

http://www.movieline.com/2011/05/meet-jason-momoas-conan-the-barbarian-this-summers-next-only-ethnic-action-hero.php

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I keep thinking the younger daughter will get her revenge on Joffrey. Maybe with the help of her wolf? It's still alive, right?

5. Shoeless Joe

I agree that killing off what I assume to be the lead character in season one doesn't make much sense, but apparently unless they were willing to completely diverge from the book, he had to go.

James Cosmo is the guy you're talking about. He was in Braveheart, Highlander, Troy and most recently had a spell in Sons of Anarchy.

6. Steak Snabler

This is pretty clever:

http://winteriscomingbitch.tumblr.com/tagged/stupid+ned/page/3

7. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

That is fantastic.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And it makes a damn good point.

9. Shoeless Joe

I have to agree. I guess movies/tv wouldn't be the same with dramatic buildup, but I always have found it laughable when someone is about to drop a dime on someone else, they go tell them about it rather than just doing it.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We assumed he was the lead character.
    Apparently, we were wrong.

11. Steak Snabler

True, but he was certainly the most accomplished and well-known actor in the cast. The producers obviously wanted a strong, identifiable presence for that role, or they would have cast an unknown like they did for virtually every other character.

Speaking of casting, just combing through their individual imdb pages, it appears Peter Dinklage (Tyrian Lannister) and Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) are the only Americans who have major roles (Momoa is Hawaiian).

The Khaleesi's servant girl is played by a Canadian. Everyone else is European (mostly British and Irish) or Australian, which makes sense given that it's filmed largely in the British Isles.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

What happened with Ned Stark is what makes Martin's writing unlike the overwhelming majority of American novelists. He writes what he thinks really would happen, not what the audience wants or expects to happen. It's painful sometimes. Really painful. Sometimes it's hard not to get mad at him as a reader.

Draft saved Draft deleted