1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was more explicit than anything ever shown on Cinemax. Certainly pleasing to this heterosexual man's eyes and ears, though I'd have been uncomfortable watching that in mixed company.

But the last sequence. Wow. Can't wait for Sunday night.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

This series has been incredibly awesome.

The gold killing was as inventive as you can get.

And if you didn't get pumped up by Drogo's speech at the end, man, I suggest you check your pulse.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, no kidding. My wife usually goes to the back on Sunday nights at 9 p.m. when HBO series come on. I was really happy she did this week. She would have been telling me "It's OK to blink now."

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Last night's episode was really good. I'm anxious to see what happens. I wonder if this will be one they try to wrap up in one season or is there a plan to keep it going.

** looks like it's already been given the go ahead for a second season. it was actually green lit two days after the first episode.

5. Steak Snabler

Much of this season is based on the first book in a series, but it's unclear if they'll wrap up all of that book or leave a cliff-hanger (or multiple cliff-hangers) for next season. Given the nature of series television, I assume they'll do the latter.

Lots of storyline advancement last night. I'm interested in what became of Ned's younger daughter, and I've got to think she and the deposed knight are going to play a part in Ned being freed from his cell. I also liked the development of the Robb character (Ned's oldest son) from a carefree young adult into a leader of men, juxtaposed with the sniveling and petty (now) King Joffrey sitting on the throne while others pull the strings.

But as Sepinwall wrote in his blog, all the drama over who deserves the throne is going to be insignificant if those Westeros folks get smashed in between the White Walkers coming down from the north and the Dothraki coming across the narrow sea.

I really like this show. Best new HBO drama since Deadwood, in my opinion.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't understand anything that happens, but I love that giant guy who used to bang his wife from behind and then she turned around and they fell in love.

What was the deal with the guy who was sort of dead when he came to kill the cute guy who left the white dog outside, and then the sort-of-dead guy came back to life until the fire made him dead again?

Also, the dwarf is hysterical. He should get his own show.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the dead/sort of dead guy is a zombie. What could be better than a mixture of history, fantasy and zombie?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, they noticed when they found him that he didn't smell dead.

I think this will be another HBO show that will get better on repeated viewings, like The Wire and The Sopranos. So much to process.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not going to spoil anything yet, but I had a feeling they were headed in that direction. Ballsy choice. Not sure if I like it or not.

10. Steak Snabler

Well, I assume it was that way in the book. But really, it had to be done to move the story forward.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Faithful to what I know about the book. Had read some online speculation on if it would happen or not and the consensus seemed to be, besides me getting totally spoiled, is that it would since HBO is committed to a second season and beyond.

If the spoilers were correct, that ain't nothing compared to what is coming. And since what I'm alluding to has already been teased to, then I wonder if it will happen next week, or next season.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What is wrong with these people.

Draft saved Draft deleted