1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Anybody else watch the premiere?

I'm going to have to watch it again to sort everything out, but on the whole, it was well-made, well-acted and full of nudity and sword-play. What's not to like?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We just watched it.
    Seems OK.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It follows the book very closely. I bet it would be hard to get into if you haven't read the book.

Looks like they put a lot of money into it.

4. Steak Snabler

Yeah, I haven't read the books. I was big into LoTR and D&D when I was younger, but got out of the fantasy genre as a whole when I was a teenager.

That said, I tend to give all HBO shows a chance. And this one looks like a keeper.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is kind of fantasy-ish. But it's more realistic, gritty Middle Ages stuff with a dash of fantasy thrown in.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It pretty much hooked me with the opening scene. Yeah, and the last one, too. Wow. Rough.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The New Yorker had a really interesting piece about the author, George Martin. It was about how fans of the book have become incensed with him for not writing the latest book in a timely manner. Some have grown to hate him. The story's about what does an author owe his readers.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/11/110411fa_fact_miller

8. bigpern23

For those who have read the books, I'd ask that you keep any spoilers out of this thread. Obviously, any of us can find out what is going to happen at any time, but I definitely prefer to just go along with the HBO ride without knowing what's coming and trying to compare it to the books.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, but you know that there's a magic ring they have to take back to Mordor, right?

10. Steak Snabler

I second this.

11. bigpern23

Dammit, Ace, where's the spoiler alert!!! :)

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I watch 'True Blood' without any interest in reading the books. I think I can do the same with this.

Draft saved Draft deleted