1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's "Game Change"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Totally true.

I remember seeing Ted Danson in the small cameo role in "Saving Private Ryan" and thinking to myself, "What the hell is Sam Malone doing in World War II?"

Some actors can never get away from the character that has made them famous. When I see Woody, I always see the Indiana farmboy who told stories of his weird relatives in a bar.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I though WH was excellent in "No Country for Old Men." "Cheers" may be his best-known role, but he's still a fairly talented actor. And Ted Danson was pretty good in 'Body Heat."

As for Sarah Palin, I think she totally epitomizes how sstyle has completely replaced any substance in much of national politics. I don't think she could effectivley lead the local PTA.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you, but I don't think the style over substance thing is really all that new.

Franklin Pierce was made a household name in a fictionalized biography of Pierce by Nathaniel Hawthorne, when Hawthorne was at the height of his fame. And then Pierce ended up the "compromise" candidate a year later, for a party trying to decide between Steven Douglas, James Buchanan and William Marcy, among others.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm surprised anyone still thinks of Woody Harrelson as Woody from Cheers these days. He's been in so damn many movies since then, sometimes in very iconic roles, I barely think of Cheers anymore.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cheers went off TV 19 years ago. It's not even on most of the rerun channels any more.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That doesn't bother me. I still like Schmidt. I'd love to see him take a job with a moderate Democrat.

Schmidt was very much the "tragic hero" of this tale. Yes, he made a huge mistake picking Palin. He created the monster. That's on him. But his reasons for picking her were not wrong. There's NO WAY a McCain-Pawlenty ticket would've won. I applaud his boldness-- he was just too reckless. If he'd picked a different woman.....

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He'll always be Billy to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"There goes that lamestream media again. We had chocolate chip cookies at our fundraiser, not brownies."

Draft saved Draft deleted