1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Escaping Neverland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 8, 2019.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I know we have a dedicated TV thread on the other side but this one has been receiving so much attention that I thought it deserved its own thread. Sat down and watched some of the first part last night and plan to finish it off either this weekend or early this week. This story is taking a similar path as R. Kelly, except there's not exactly much you can do to punish a guy who has been dead for 10 years.

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Priscilla was 14 years old when Elvis met her.[40] Elvis' relationships with young women were pointed in "In his love life," by Reuben Fine, who observed that Elvis "quickly became attached to teenage girls, and he loved to have them wearing white panties in bed with him. For a long time he would not have sex with them, whom he described as 'jail bait.' "[41] In similar terms, Brent D. Taylor has stated that "Elvis's closest female relationships were usually with young girls of around 13 or 14, ending as they reached late teens. He didn't have sex with these young girls, but had pajama parties, pillow fights and indulged in 'girl talk', just as he did with Gladys."[42] "As a perpetual youth", Elvis was "attracted to young women",[43] and "Elvis felt comfortable with these adolescent girls" because he "was so insecure

Personal relationships of Elvis Presley - Wikipedia

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Elvis was a weirdo in his own right, but in the Deep South not too long after WWII, 13-14 was not really considered unusual marriage age. But he'd been out in the world a while by the Sixties, so he should have moved on from the grade school babes.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't really get why the first response in a thread that is ostensibly about Michael Jackson's predation was about Elvis Presley.

melock, lakefront and SFIND like this.
  5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I thought it was a semi-obvious point about the double standard of media coverage of the intersection of celebrities, race and sex with teenagers.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old third cousin in 1957. Some things do change for the better.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I thought “Leaving Neverland” was better.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

A thread that Phil Collins's up the place about Elvis doesn't deserve an accurate title.

Gator likes this.
  9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

They were not teenagers.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

The one guy in the documentary was about five when Jackson started allegedly grooming him and his family. They aren’t the same at all. They’re apples and bowling balls that are apple colored.

Draft saved Draft deleted