1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It would be funny if sometime during the first season, there was some very obscure reference to a young immigrant stonecutter getting involved in "the business" up in Newark... Corrado Soprano, Sr.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just got done watching the first episode On Demand. The pacing was very slow, but I liked it. Thought it was good, but not great. I'll give it a few more episodes.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Who used to be the muscle for Meyer Lansky.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Nucky's girl is very naughty.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Between her and Sasha on Entourage, I'm starting to like bush again.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

You swing both ways?

7. Sasha Grey has the best Bush ever

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Just watched the premiere - picked up steam as it went on (maybe it's the Buscemi fan in me that gave me patience), but I have one major problem: the horrible, constant background music. Scenes in clubs, etc., where it's natural is one thing, but face it: early '20s music sucks. And it's much more pervasive than it ever was in "The Sopranos."
    I'm currently rewatching the "Deadwood" DVDs, and Keith Carradine nailed it on a commentary track. He complains that too many movies and TV shows feel they need to fill with music at nearly every moment. "Deadwood" was very sparing in its use of music (piano in the Gem or the Bella Union, the violins of doom at life-or-death moments, occasion piece over an episode-closing montage), and very effective. "The Sopranos" included more music, but it seemed more legit - the Bing, scenes in cars, etc. BE seems to be beating us over the head with it when it's not necessary.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Best episode yet tonight. Chalky's speech, Nucky dancing with Margaret, Jimmy and Capone (trying to) put the squeeze on Sheridan. All incredible scenes, and all in one episode.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I agree that movies and TV shows use too much background music in general.
    However, I don't mind the period music in this show.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not here to build a bookcase.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd have to say, if I was the guy who now can't wear his ring, I would get payback swiftly starting with the sheriff at the head of the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted